Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pause Studying for Debt Reduction?

Natalia B.Natalia B. Alum Member
in General 52 karma

Hi 7sagers! So I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I'm planning on attending law school in Fall 2020 when I'm 26, but I'm studying for the LSAT now and I've taken the most recent June test. I was planning on retaking the test for February 2018 and I've been using 7Sage for the past two months (which is AWESOME btw). I'm also aggressively paying off my student loans right now so I work two jobs. These loans are scheduled to be paid off in August 2018 as of now. I owe less than $18,000 and I started off at $25,311, so it's been working out pretty well.

My question is do you think it would be best if I paused my studying for the LSAT and take the November 2018 test instead so I can focus on paying down these loans faster by taking on a third job. With a third stream of income making at least an extra $100 a week, I think I can make it so I pay off my loans by May 2018. From there, I would study for the LSAT for six more months and take the test in November.

My reasoning behind this is working two jobs and trying to put my all in studying for this test is really tough. My second job is in catering so I often work 12-14 hours on Saturday and by Sunday, I don't want to move let alone study for several hours. Both of my current goals require time and by splitting this time between both of them, I don't feel as if I am optimizing my score as much as I know I can if I have the time to study. Another benefit of working in catering is that I can switch to on call hours where I basically am not scheduled to work unless the company really needs me so I can do that a couple of months before the test. This would allow me to dedicate my Saturdays to the LSAT once I paid off my student loans. Also since I won't be applying to law school until Fall 2019, taking the test in November 2018 wouldn't be too close to the application deadlines.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think this is a solid plan or do you feel like there is any pitfalls that I haven't taken into consideration? Thanks so much for your help!!

fyi: Before 7sage, I got a 153 on the LSAT. However, I have gone through the Logical Reasoning section of CC and my understanding has gotten so much better. I am aiming for a 160, but with a lot of hard work, this course, and blind review, I can surpass that. Thanks again!