Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Interview

Hi Fellow Sagers!

I'm enrolled in the Admissions Course and I didn't see a section about law school in-person interviews - unless I'm missing something?

Have one coming up soon..does anyone have intel on what materials is appropriate to bring to one besides resume? Does bringing a copy of my personal statement make sense? Any tips if you've been on one?

Appreciate any insight! :)

Comments

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I wouldn't bring the PS, they are going to see it in your application and a PS is supposed to be akin to an interview on paper (meaning giving them the insight they might gain by actually getting to know you better in person which is what an interview does on its own). Also prepare a few questions you can ask about the school that will at least give the impression of interest / that you've done some research into the school (try to make them things that you likely couldn't figure out by reading their website).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@leannasamson said:
    Hi Fellow Sagers!

I'm enrolled in the Admissions Course and I didn't see a section about law school in-person interviews - unless I'm missing something?

Have one coming up soon..does anyone have intel on what materials is appropriate to bring to one besides resume? Does bringing a copy of my personal statement make sense? Any tips if you've been on one?

Appreciate any insight! :)

Hmm... They may ask about what is in your PS and likely will ask you to walk them through your resume. While I don't know how necessary it will be to bring a copy of your PS, make sure you review what you've written so you're ready to answer any and all questions pertaining to it. Especially practice speaking about your resume at length.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

I never did any in person interviews, but I know that generally, you want to get there early, but only check in about 5 minutes before time. You don't want to be too early; it's weird to have some one sitting somewhere just waiting on you, and it frequently makes people feel like they've got to hastily wrap up whatever they're doing in order to start the interview early. Obviously, you shouldn't be late either (and on time is late). Dress professionally, ideally something you could maybe scale up or down a little so that you can make sure to meet your interviewer's level of dress. And like above comments have said, just be ready for the obvious questions about your resume, why you want to be a lawyer, and why you want to go to school there specifically. I also second the importance of having a few questions of your own. You don't want to be caught off guard when they ask you if you have any questions about the school for them. They will almost certainly ask, and you will almost certainly look disinterested if you have nothing or if you have to go with whatever lame thing you can think up on the fly.

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

What schools offer an in-person interview? I didn't think that was common anymore.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    What schools offer an in-person interview? I didn't think that was common anymore.

Among the top-15, UVA requires an interview of every admitted student. I tried to compile a list (got definitive answers on most of the schools) a few months ago here: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/12009/which-t-14-schools-have-interviews

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

@dantlee14 thanks for the list! I wish more schools did the interview! I know the application speaks for itself on your behalf, but sometimes being F2F is a more personal approach. Oh well :smile: