Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stomach Growling during exam

LSATPrabLSATPrab Alum Member
in General 76 karma

Hi All,
So I've started writing practice exams from 9am-1pm on Saturdays to prepare myself for my exam on Dec 2. Heres my problem: whenever I write my exam around 12:00 my stomach starts growling really loudly, I start getting hungry. I'm just wondering if anyone is on the same boat as me? I don't really like eating a big breakfast at 7:30 am so idk what to do.. LOL

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

You may not be eating dense enough foods - here is what I ate for my exam.

Big breakfast yogurt and sandwich and banana + morning coffee (forced myself because I hate eating early)

for the lunch break I had a "bobo" bar from whole foods, 2 hard boiled eggs, and a piece of fruit.+ chocolate covered espresso beans

The night before I had a large late dinner. In the future I will make my breakfast even bigger because I got the slightest bit hungry. I am one of those people that can't focus while I am hungry lol.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2017 10774 karma

@LSATPrab said:
    Hi All,
    So I've started writing practice exams from 9am-1pm on Saturdays to prepare myself for my exam on Dec 2. Heres my problem: whenever I write my exam around 12:00 my stomach starts growling really loudly, I start getting hungry. I'm just wondering if anyone is on the same boat as me? I don't really like eating a big breakfast at 7:30 am so idk what to do.. LOL

One way I countered this for September LSAT is that I had lunch at 1 pm for 3 months leading to the test. At first this was hard because I am used to eating at 12. But a month later it wasn't so bad. My body started getting used to it and by the time exam rolled around it really wasn't an issue at all. So I think having a schedule everyday till December that mimics the condition of the test will really pay dividends.

Also, I do have a big breakfast thats pretty much the same everyday. 1 egg(fried/scrambled/boiled), 1 kind of meat (bacon, sausage), a piece of fruit (I prefer a pear or apple because they are such calming fruits to me), oatmeal, and coffee. I also start my day with warm lemon water to get some vitamins. It's pretty essential that I force myself to eat or I will not last till 1 pm. Most days I do not want to eat this big breakfast. But I do force myself because I know I can last a lot longer and will have really good energy to study or while taking the test throughout the day.

Also, use the 15 minute break to have a good snack. I eat a banana and a piece of peanut butter toast and I make a nutritious water with some noni, acai, spirulina, ground flax seed, and matcha powder everyday and I had the same snack for my 15 min break during September LSAT.

I think consistency with what you eat and when you eat means your body is used to this and it has settled into a rhythm. Also, that's one less thing you have to worry about on the day of the test.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@Sami said:

@LSATPrab said:
    Hi All,

One way I countered this for September LSAT is that I had lunch at 1 pm for 3 months leading to the test. At first this was hard because I am used to eating at 12. But a month later it wasn't so bad. My body started getting used to it and by the time exam rolled around it really wasn't an issue at all. So I think having a schedule everyday till December that mimics the condition of the test will really pay dividends.

Also, I do have a big breakfast thats pretty much the same everyday. 1 egg(fried/scrambled/boiled), 1 kind of meat (bacon, sausage), a piece of fruit (I prefer a pear or apple because they are such calming fruits to me), oatmeal, and coffee. I also start my day with warm lemon water to get some vitamins. It's pretty essential that I force myself to eat or I will not last till 1 pm. Most days I do not want to eat this big breakfast. But I do force myself because I know I can last a lot longer and will have really good energy to study or while taking the test throughout the day.

Also, use the 15 minute break to have a good snack. I eat a banana and a piece of peanut butter toast and I make a nutritious water with some noni, acai, spirulina, ground flax seed, and matcha powder everyday and I had the same snack for my 15 min break during September LSAT.

I think consistency with what you eat and when you eat means your body is used to this and it has settled into a rhythm. Also, that's one less thing you have to worry about on the day of the test.

Do you drink the lemon water before or after coffee? Have you tried cashew or almond butter It keeps me fuller than peanut butter. Have to try your idea for the water too - do you just throw all of those ingredients in there? Actually I think bringing a green smoothie for the lunch break could be a good idea too.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I'm the same way. I usually don't eat breakfast, but I knew if I didn't I would get super hungry in the middle of the LSAT.

My advice - eat atleast a light breakfast - like eggs and a sausage or something - about an hour before you begin testing. I don't recommend any heavy carbs because that may slow your mind (carbs are more difficult to digest; blood goes to your stomach away from your brain to aide in digestion).

During your break, eat a snack. Preferably something sugary. There have been some studies showing that strenuous mental activity can deplete glucose stores in the brain. Replenishing those stores can help you think better for the remainder of the exam. Lol I'm such a nerd :smile:

• LSATPrabLSATPrab Alum Member
    76 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    You may not be eating dense enough foods - here is what I ate for my exam.

Big breakfast yogurt and sandwich and banana + morning coffee (forced myself because I hate eating early)

for the lunch break I had a "bobo" bar from whole foods, 2 hard boiled eggs, and a piece of fruit.+ chocolate covered espresso beans

The night before I had a large late dinner. In the future I will make my breakfast even bigger because I got the slightest bit hungry. I am one of those people that can't focus while I am hungry lol.

I think I'm going to definitely start eating a large late dinner on Fridays from now on!