Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone taken the exam abroad during a vacation?

solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
edited June 2016 in General 140 karma
I just got my score for the June exam. 159. Not happy. I was practicing at 172… so you can imagine my disappointment. I got about 3 hours of sleep in two days because of nerves, I guess. And the tropical storm hit our testing facility, knocking out the electric and causing a big commotion. I got totally frazzled. Because I was practicing so well, I was hoping to take it once and move on. Obviously, I have to retake.

Anyways, I am left with retaking in September or December, wanting to apply for Summer/Fall 2017. Problem is that I will be in Europe for all of September (my brother is getting married in Italy). I can take the exam in Rome, which leaves December if I am still not happy with my performance. Or, I can wait until December, but that means applying later than I had wanted (I know a lot of schools make scholarship determinations as they receive applications, and are on rolling schedule), with a worst case of taking it again in February.

Long story short – has anyone taken the exam abroad while travelling? I know it isn’t ideal, but I have limited options. I can study from now until Sept 4 full-time and study part-time while I am abroad, as needed until the Sept 24 exam, but I have no idea what to think about taking it abroad. I am in Europe until October 5. Being in the middle of vacation may be good for me (given that I think my poor performance was due to anxiety and stress, in addition to storm), but it could also totally suck.

My GPA was 3.86 from a good undergrad but I’m very worried the LSAT will hinder my scholarship opportunities!

Any input? Anyone ever do this before? I know it’s not the norm, but I’m sure someone has had a similar situation…

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I know someone who took it abroad and they had a good experience, but it is difficult to know for sure, as that is just one experience.

She also took in Rome and I can see if I still have contact into to see which testing center it was. She was doing a semester abroad and couldn't do the Sept test. She ended up applying with her Dec score and retook in Feb (in the states) and actually got some nice scholarship money in March this was the Fall 15 cycle. Her first LSAT was a 164 and 2nd a 171 and she had a 3.75+I believe.

I mean I really think it depends on you. I know people who have traveled here overseas to take the tests. So it is not uncommon to travel for the test, you just need to make sure the travel isnt too close to test date and you have time to acclimate.

Plus, of course, make sure that you will actually have time to study. A lot of people have had offers of $$ with Feb apps too, earlier is better, but Feb still offers opportunity. We are still in an age of demand for students. The tide is shifting, but we should be good this cycle.
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    Thanks for your thoughts, stepharizona. I would be interested in hearing about the location in Rome, if it is the same (e.g. comfort level, noise, accessibility). If you find out anything about it, I’d appreciate you passing it along!

It’s hard to decide because I don’t want to forego good experiences in Italy while there, and I don’t want to slack on the studying part, but I do feel that my poor performance was more situational than due to lack of preparation and I’m hoping that next round I’ll be more psychologically ready (with no storms and electrical outages!). Being in Italy may even lower my anxiety levels and result in a better performance. I’m just conflicted, knowing they only offer 4 times a year.

Your points about the Feb exam are good too. I think it just comes down to wanting to have a plan before then, particularly because cost is a big determinant in where I decide to go. So your friend got accepted and then they reconsidered her scholarship offer once she got the Feb score in?
    3197 karma
    Yeah she negotiated and got off of a waitlist with $$.164 to 171 is a HUGE jump numbers wise. She went from low 25% to above 75%
    140 karma
    Great for her!

and true - that is a big leap. Crazy that one test score can make such a big difference. I am hoping to have an even bigger leap. Like I mentioned, I was consistently testing at 172 and bombed with the 159. Obviously, I'm hoping to be a lot closer to the 170 range. Reviewing the test and my answer sheet, I remember when the storm and anxiety started kicking in, and I can see how I started getting things wrong that would have been extremely obvious on a normal day.

Maybe I'll reconsider the Dec-Feb option in lieu of Sept-Dec. Let me know if you hear about Rome.
    3197 karma
    @solkahlerrios said:
    Maybe I'll reconsider the Dec-Feb option in lieu of Sept-Dec. Let me know if you hear about Rome
    I emailed her and am going through old hangouts to see if I can find her test center. If I find anything or hear back I will post.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    I took the LSAT in Munich, Germany and in Ankara, Turkey. Be careful about which testing center you choose (Germany was great, Turkey was horrible).
    Remember that tests outside of the US are undisclosed, so you won't be able to analyze your test to see where you made mistakes etc. Also, the test itself is slightly different; the questions are not the same as the ones people take in the US. Just things to keep in mind.
    140 karma
    @mes08 Thanks so much for your input. What would you say is different? Wording? Material? Difficulty?
    140 karma
    @stepharizona The testing location in Rome is the Istituto Mater Dolorosa at Via Alessandro Torlonia, 14, 00161 Roma, Italy. Looks like a preschool (?). If you find who took it in Rome, can you ask if it is the same location?

Thanks!
    3197 karma
    I emailed them but havent heard back. I know she took in Rome, so I dont know if the testing centers have changed since then.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    @solkrios I don't think there's a significant difference; it's simply that the questions in all sections are different. Personally, I thought the LG section was harder and the RC was easier than the PTs I had done. However, there's no real way to know, since you're not given the opportunity to really analyze the test or compare it to existing PTs...
    140 karma
    @mes08 Yeah, it'll be frustrating for me to not be able to review the test if I do take it abroad, but I guess understand why they do it. Thanks for your input!