Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation

I went to a big research university and all of my lectures were 200+ people. I didn't get to know my professors really well but did get to know two professors at the university with whom I did research with (not as a job but just because I was interested in their fields). But since they didn't actually teach me directly (as in a class), is it still ok to count their letters as "academic"?

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think it probably depends on the school. Read their requirements closely. I think (but not totally sure) that some schools ask specifically for academic LORs where you were taught by that person.

Also, are there any TAs that you had a semi-close relationship with? Or who would remember you? The level of person is not as important as their ability to rate your academic skills.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1777 karma

I don't think you have to have academic LORs because many people applying to law school have been out of college for quite a few years. I am in a similar situation because I take accelerated online classes. Sure, my professors and I communicate somewhat regularly, but they only get to know me for 8 weeks. The LSAC website says that both professors and professional supervisors are the best people to write your recommendations. As long as the people writing your LORs can speak to your personal strengths, work ethic, and how you compare to your peers, you should be fine. I hope that helps.

• hermes777hermes777 Member
    18 karma

Stick to the guideline provided at the school(s) you will be applying to. Many of them will have listed on their websites their rubric for considering LORs. Academic letters are pertinent insofar as they indicate how you performed under academic constraints, which cannot be assessed in other settings, i.e., work-related fields. For this reason, schools typically accept only one letter from work-related references. So I would advise you to check each of the school's website for further instructions and to follow their rubric carefully, as this could be a make-or-break factor in your application.