Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting back into the right mind set

sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
in General 708 karma

After failing on the Sep test. (I blacked out on the first section and scored the worst I ever have - so badly I don't even want to say)

I am trying to now get back into the right mindset. I'm sitting here in the library and just having a hard time getting motivated. I am so afraid that I will black out again during the dec/feb/or june test and all of my hard work will be for nothing. I absolutely bombed one LR section not because I didn't know it but because of my anxiety.

I am starting meditation and getting back into yoga hoping this helps.

Just looking for some support or anyone feeling similarly right now. Thanks!

Comments

• saralaz92saralaz92 Free Trial Member
    12 karma

I feel the same way right now. I need to change my study schedule but trying to figure out what would be the best schedule and how much I can realistically get in before December. Would you be open to sharing your study schedule?

Currently, I was just planning on doing PT's and timed sections but don't know if there is more that I should be doing and what would be the most effective way to get at it.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@saralaz92 said:
    I feel the same way right now. I need to change my study schedule but trying to figure out what would be the best schedule and how much I can realistically get in before December. Would you be open to sharing your study schedule?

Currently, I was just planning on doing PT's and timed sections but don't know if there is more that I should be doing and what would be the most effective way to get at it.

So I am signed up for the Dec exam but taking it week by week. My study schedule is starting out with a few games, half LR section, and one RC passage for the day and then doing a whole LR and LG and BR and going back to CC in what I don't understand and then 1x a week PT under strict time conditions.

I'm not working on RC because it's my best section but reading the economist and scientific american where I can, but for me the biggest factor was anxiety when I took the test :(

12 karma

I feel you 100%. COMPLETELY froze during my fist section and the anxiety really kicked in so you are defiantly not alone. You mentioned meditation and yoga, which I think will help a lot (hopefully-- that's what I am trying to incorporate too)

I signed up for Dec too but just trying to get motivated to get back at it. Thank you for sharing your schedule! I am trying to do something similar. Leading up to the Sept exam I dragged my studying out so much that I think it just burned me out almost and I definitely need to do something different for the Dec. I am thinking shorter sessions will be much more effective than dragging it out and keeping myself much more accountable.

Do you know if the Dec study group is still taking place?

Thanks again! We are on this journey together!

edited October 2017 708 karma

@saralaz92 said:
    I feel you 100%. COMPLETELY froze during my fist section and the anxiety really kicked in so you are defiantly not alone. You mentioned meditation and yoga, which I think will help a lot (hopefully-- that's what I am trying to incorporate too)

I signed up for Dec too but just trying to get motivated to get back at it. Thank you for sharing your schedule! I am trying to do something similar. Leading up to the Sept exam I dragged my studying out so much that I think it just burned me out almost and I definitely need to do something different for the Dec. I am thinking shorter sessions will be much more effective than dragging it out and keeping myself much more accountable.

Do you know if the Dec study group is still taking place?

Thanks again! We are on this journey together!

Yes me too! I think I'm going to aim for 3-4 hour short sessions. I just contacted a local mindfullness teacher and will be taking lessons- I would hate to resort to medication, but i am just now realizing how much anxiety is starting to control my life.

I'm not sure about Sami's group but there is another group by sidebrain that is still going on!

12 karma

@sillllyxo yes, anything that will help. I'll look out for the study group! Thanks :)

• sdsd1818sdsd1818 Alum Member
    97 karma

I have a long way to go in combatting my own anxiety, but something that helped before and during the test was closing my eyes, inhaling slowly for 4 counts and exhaling slowly for 6. Think about breathing in everything you need for the test (e.g. focus, confidence), and breathing out everything you don't (e.g. anxiety, distractions, fear). Once you start, look only at the test-- not at other test-takers, or proctors, or the time (unless you're able to do this without freaking out). Repeat the breathing exercise every time you start to freak out.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1207 karma

Something I've learned is important to combat anxiety and learn effectively is to focus on the process and not the result. So instead of focusing on a full section or a full PT, focus on the process of answering the questions themselves.

Having eaten enough food and remembering to breath are also important.

708 karma

@btownsquee said:
    Something I've learned is important to combat anxiety and learn effectively is to focus on the process and not the result. So instead of focusing on a full section or a full PT, focus on the process of answering the questions themselves.

Having eaten enough food and remembering to breath is also important.

I actually just noticed I get really light headed after doing LG sections - i don't think i breathe lol