Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old PS Student Looking for Course/LR Advice

beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member

So I took an online Powerscore course from August to September in prep for the December course. Since taking the course, I've decided to push back my test date to February. I've also been foolproofing the LGs from PT 1-35 and and working on LR/LG sections. LG-taking a while but slowly seeing improvement. LR struggling much more than I want to... I inputted the past 11 PTS I've done into analytics and I'm avging -6. My analytics tells me I need to brush up on weaken/strengthen, flaw and assumption questions. I'm at this point where I'm struggling to figure out whether I should enroll in a 7sage minimum course to have access to the core curriculum re LR. Problem is I don't know how different it is from PS's curriculum seeing that I've looked at some excerpts on the 7sage blog. Is it worth it to spend more money? Or will the real improvement come from doing more PTs and BRs?

Would appreciate any and all help. Also would appreciate any tips on how others have made major improvements in LR.

Comments

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

To give a better picture of where I'm at... my avg score over the past 11 PTs that I've taken since my class ended Sept 12 has been a 163 (this is timed LR, timed RC, untimed LG bc I'm still foolproofing)... I want to score a 170.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey @bizmuf ,

Many students on here began with Powerscore and eventually switched over to 7Sage. Myself included.

If you're still missing -6, then I absolutely would recommend a 7Sage Starter Set. I think 7Sage differs from Powerscore in a few ways. First, JY (instructor/founder) is very, very visual with his teaching. I think it adds a completely new dimension to learning this test. Seeing how to solve these problems in real time can do wonders for your understanding and moreover, your application of LSAT test taking skills. JY's teaching style is also very engaging and it actually makes learning this test fun. Second, I think Powerscore is a company built for the average test taker who will eventually score in the 150s. They know this and they make a product to achieve this end. Because of that, it lacks a lot of the complex logic and nuances that this test can throw at us.

I made the bulk of my improvement on LR by going through the 7Sage lessons and drilling the questions by type. If I got a question wrong, the explanations on 7Sage often helped me to really nail down where I was going wrong.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think it would be worth it. 7Sage taught me the foundations of logic, which helps a ton on both types of assumption questions, as well as certain flaw questions. JY is also great at explaining the structure of flawed arguments on the LSAT.

555 karma

Hi guys!! Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. If you were in my position, how would you go about using the starter pack? Would I go towards the curriculum and find the videos for teaching assumptions, etc questions (all the question types that I'm currently struggling with) and drill through those with the drills?

Also I really enjoy PS's forum for the logical reasoning explanations, would the starter pack give me explanations for ALL of the logical reasoning questions?

Also wider question, is it stupid to introduce another course right now if I'm taking my exam in february? I mean do I have enough time to get the most out of the 7sage course? I'm hoping to use the 7sage material as I'm drilling through PTs 1-35

555 karma

Basically I'm worried I'll be "set back" or too inundated if I put myself through a new curriculum right now.

555 karma

Last question (I'm sorry), do you both think the starter pack valued at $179 is enough material for me to learn and drill?

• BDBD Alum Member
    edited October 2017 128 karma

I believe the only course with LR "drills" is Ultimate+. It organizes drills by question type, and by PTs. There are problem sets (again, organized by question type) in the Starter course, but they're usually the easiest, and there aren't that many.

There is also a 14 day money back guarantee with all the courses.