Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dilemma: More PT or More BR?

WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 102 karma

Hey guys! Two questions.
I am going to take the test in December, which coming up pretty quickly. My timed tests are consistently at 160 and my BRs are 166-170.

Would I be able to make my BR score a reality in two months?

Also, I am currently doing two PTs a week and BRs between the two, but I have trouble concentrating when doing BR and so even just the two days between the two PTs feels like it's not enough time for me to learn much.

Should I switch to doing only one PT a week and spend the rest of the week with BR?

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I recommend that you stop PTing and concentrate on drilling. I think you should not take a PT until you learned some lessons from your previous PTs and you are sure that your skills have improved.

I recommend this webinar by @"Cant Get Right": https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I've heard a really good strategy somewhere (which I've yet to implement) that has 1 full PT on saturday/sunday and then the first half of the week BR and then drilling the main things you've missed. This gives you both the experience of taking a PT and learning from it

• WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
    102 karma

@akistotle Thank you so much for the advise and the video!

• WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
    102 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    "1 full PT on saturday/sunday and then the first half of the week BR and then drilling the main things you've missed"

I am going to start doing that now. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Review is much more important than just grinding out PTs, which, without a bunch of accompanying review, is a pretty big waste of time and effort. The purpose of a PT is to get a snapshot of your weaknesses, so that you can spend time working on those weaknesses and hammering out your technique. Most of your improvement will not happen while you're PTing, it will happen when you review and drill things that, in your review, you find out needs work. If you spend all your time PTing you won't see nearly as big an improvement as if you spent AT LEAST HALF of your time reviewing.

2 PTs a week seems like a waste of energy. I tend to think PTs in general are overrated and timed sections are more helpful because you can review them directly after and don't burn yourself out taking 2 full PTs a week. PTs take an incredible amount of energy and aren't really where you're going to get better.