PTB.S4.Q25 - some residents of midville

edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 316 karma

Can someone explain to me why the answer is A? I was able to get the right answer but only through process of elimination. I don't actually understand what A is saying...

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 13286 karma

Look at the first sentence of the stimulus. It says;

• Some residents of Midville claim that Midville is generally more expensive to live in than nearby towns, but these people are mistaken.

This also happens to be the conclusion of the entire argument, more specifically the part that says;

• "but these people are mistaken."

Okay....so if my conclusion is "these people are mistaken." We need to know who "these people" are. In this case "these people" is referential phrasing that points to "some residents of Midville that claim it is more expensive to live in Midville than in nearby towns".

So if I am saying that some residents are mistaken that it is more expensive to live in Midville than in nearby towns, what am I saying?

I am saying that Midville is typically NOT more expensive to live in than nearby towns.

I am denying what the "some residents of Midville" are saying.

So esentailly;

• "These people are mistaken" = "Midville is generally no more expensive to live in than nearby towns are"
  • HarvardddHarvarddd Alum Member
    3 karma

help

I thought "but" meant anything before is context and anything after is an argument. So, if "but these people are mistaken." is the conclusion where is the premises?