Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we supposed to put pay raises or hours that we worked on our resumes?

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 3652 karma

I worked 35+ hours while finishing up community college and then 15+ hours while full time at university. Went from unpaid intern to paid receptionist to legal assistant and received a raise.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'm not sure it's common to do so on your resume, but I do know that some applications want you to specify how many hours you worked per week at a job.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I started an application and one of the sections was for work experience (I would think it's the same for all apps). You can input internships and jobs, the hours you worked, and if you did either during the academic year. So I don't know if it'd be necessary to repeat it on your resume.

As for the jobs, it sounds like you were essentially promoted? Did you perform new roles? If so, I would list those job titles separately under the employer since that will show the progression.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"surfy surf"

I worked 35+ hours while finishing up community college and then 15+ hours while full time at university.

This is something you definitely want to include in your application but maybe not on the resume because the impact is not so apparent. You may consider leaving the hours off of your resume and instead writing an addendum explaining your workload during undergrad. I think the ability to balance a job with schooling is impressive and you should bring that to their attention.

Went from unpaid intern to paid receptionist to legal assistant and received a raise.

Typically I would say that pay raises don't belong on a resume, but this is different. You should call attention to these promotions. The typical way of doing this is placing those titles on separate lines which is great because it calls attention to the progression. But if you feel like you don't have enough details to fill a few bullet points under each, you can always just list the most recent title and call out the promotions in the first bullet point.

861 karma

@jkatz1488 said:

I worked 35+ hours while finishing up community college and then 15+ hours while full time at university.

This is something you definitely want to include in your application but maybe not on the resume because the impact is not so apparent. You may consider leaving the hours off of your resume and instead writing an addendum explaining your workload during undergrad. I think the ability to balance a job with schooling is impressive and you should bring that to their attention.

I don't want to hijack this post since I'm not OP, but that's really interesting! I never thought about including an addendum for that. Is that common?

(Sorry if this is a huge post lol I'm just giving some background info.) During the academic year, I was a full time student and worked 10-12 hours a week freshman-junior year and 24 hours a week during my senior year. I double majored and had two leadership positions which were only a couple hours a week.

I guess I'm hesitant to write an addendum because I had friends who were also full time students, had leadership positions, and worked a lot more than 24/week. My final GPA wasn't exceptional (3.59) but I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. I'm sure there's a right way to do this, which makes me think I'll go ahead and purchase the $15 admissions course.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@xtinextine i'm no expert! I think the topic fits nicely into an addendum for those that have less than stellar GPAs.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Nope not on your resume.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I would put hours if you were working concurrently with school - shows to what extent you were balancing school and academics.

Also yeah, for such promotions I would definitely list them and call attention to them.

For example, I put on my resume that I was an intern (40hrs/wk), and then got hired onto full time staff (90 hrs/wk)

861 karma

@jkatz1488 oh okay (thanks, though!) That makes sense.