Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble understanding wordy LR questions

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

I have been struggling with mainly questions where the conclusion is hard to understand. I have tried to drill down different LR question types but I honestly have trouble with any stimulus that I don't quite understand.

I am pretty good with logic and valid/invalid argument forms so I don't think that's the issue. Is this something just common on the older PTs?

I have been struggling on harder problems sets in the curriculum as well so I am not sure how to tackle this problem since doing drills at this point isn't really helping. I usually do fine with the first 10 questions on a LR section but it does downhill from there. I usually don't really move on to another problem set until I have completely understood why I have gotten it wrong but again, it's usually because I didn't identify the flaw with the argument or understand the stimulus.

In BR, I usually get around 17-19 correct on LR out of 25. Again, majority of the ones I get incorrect are near the end of the section.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

Hey @jennybbbbb ,

I think it would be really helpful to return to the "Grammar" and "Introduction to Arguments" lessons in the CC. They are right in the beginning, and I think when we first dive head-first into our prep we don't always realize how important these seemingly basic & obvious lessons are. However, as I eventually noticed, being able to parse through complex grammar is a major part of this test. There are several helpful lessons and quizzes that will help you parse through the "wordy" grammar and get to the conclusion.

For me, I found that I did best when I really took my time and did and re-did the drills. I would write out explanations for every single question that gave me even a little trouble. Then I would review the video explanations, even for the questions I got right. Writing out explanations also helps to uncover where exactly you are having the issue. For example, If you're having trouble summarizing the argument itself, then it very well could be a grammar issue.

https://7sage.com/lesson/grammar-subject-predicate-details/

https://7sage.com/lesson/3-ways-to-identify-premises-conclusions/

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

It may also be helpful to review the premise- conclusion lessons as well. Once I realized I wasn't truly understanding which part of the lesson was context v. Premise v. Conclusion I realized that's where I was getting my mistakes.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey @jennybbbbb ,

I think it would be really helpful to return to the "Grammar" and "Introduction to Arguments" lessons in the CC. They are right in the beginning, and I think when we first dive head-first into our prep we don't always realize how important these seemingly basic & obvious lessons are. However, as I eventually noticed, being able to parse through complex grammar is a major part of this test. There are several helpful lessons and quizzes that will help you parse through the "wordy" grammar and get to the conclusion.

For me, I found that I did best when I really took my time and did and re-did the drills. I would write out explanations for every single question that gave me even a little trouble. Then I would review the video explanations, even for the questions I got right. Writing out explanations also helps to uncover where exactly you are having the issue. For example, If you're having trouble summarizing the argument itself, then it very well could be a grammar issue.

https://7sage.com/lesson/grammar-subject-predicate-details/

https://7sage.com/lesson/3-ways-to-identify-premises-conclusions/

@tringo335 said:
    It may also be helpful to review the premise- conclusion lessons as well. Once I realized I wasn't truly understanding which part of the lesson was context v. Premise v. Conclusion I realized that's where I was getting my mistakes.

Hey guys! Thanks for the input!

I would say I have a fairly good understanding of identifying the conclusion/premise but I took your advice @"Alex Divine" and went through the grammar lessons.

Let's see if that helps me in understanding the wordy questions xD

Wish me luck!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@jennybbbbb said:

Hey guys! Thanks for the input!

Wish me luck!

cool! good luck!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I would definitely do some premise/conclusion review. If you can break down the long sentences to see if part of it is a premise, conclusion, or red herring, that can be really helpful. Also, sometimes I draw a slash in between the long lines to physically break it down. Here is an example I just did... hopefully this can help you:

"In northern Europe during the eighteenth century/ a change of attitude occurred that found expression both in the adoption of less solemn and elaborate death rites by the population at large/ and in a more optimistic view of the human condition as articulated by philosophers."

I can't even believe that was a sentence. Basically, I first try to isolate the contextual part of the sentence, since the long sentences are often at the beginning of the reading. From there, I just separate the "main ideas" into ideas that I can actually read. If I can't say it in a single breath, I need to break it down.