Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few suggestions would be helpful

edited October 2017 in General 1025 karma

I've been grinding every single day BRing, drilling old tests, going back to the CC and I still am stuck a whole month later at a 161.

I just finished PT 68 and I got -12LR (-6 & -6) -0LG -13RC
I don't even know where to begin with RC so I have neglected it a bit. But for LR, it is my main focus and always has been. I am so inconsistent with questions and it drives me nuts. For example, in section 2, there were seven level 3 difficulty questions, five level 4, and two level 5. Out of the statistically 'hardest' 14 questions in the section I missed one level 3 and one level 4 question. The other four I missed were all one and two level difficulty questions. I even constantly have a good 5-6 minutes left in the section to go back and answer a few skipped questions.

Does anyone else have this problem? I may be over analyzing the easier questions, but I really don't know how to fix this problem. In hindsight, for every LR section I would say all but one or two are very simple, easy mistakes (read QS wrong, lost my brain, didn't identify the conclusion, didn't find the tension in a RRE question). It's fine if that was once in a blue moon, but these little mistakes are very consistent from section to section. Each time they are something small but different. I started to create an excel sheet where I go in detail trying to reenforce what I am doing right and dispel the wrong tendencies I have. If score is a tell of that success then I am not sure that is working out too well.

I feel like I am right at the tipping point of everything just clicking but my scores say otherwise. It's confusing and hard to figure out exactly how to push myself over the top right now. Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

As always, thanks!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Have you ever recorded yourself? I think it would be helpful to analyze how you are performing under the timed condition.

@TheDeterminedC said:
    I may be over analyzing the easier questions, but I really don't know how to fix this problem.

Do you know what went wrong under the timed condition? Did you misread the stimulus? If so, was it the grammar? (If grammar is your enemy, you can do Grammar Review on each stimulus) Or was it because of a complex structure of the argument? (then, you can do Cookie Cutter Review)

You can learn from every question that you missed. Recording yourself would be helpful because you can analyze what went wrong from the footages.

On my last PT, I missed a two-star Flaw question, which was really easy during BR. What happened during the timed condition was that I anticipated a flaw after reading the stimulus, and I got carried away with that anticipation. I couldn't find the answer because I was too attached to that anticipation. So my lesson from that question was: "Don't get married to your anticipation. Be flexible."

• edited October 2017 1025 karma

@akistotle
    I should have recorded myself on this last PT. I am upset I left my weird cheap stand that I love at home ):

Most of the questions I vividly remember the exact moment where I went wrong and I am able to add that into my Cookie Cutter Review. I tend to be very solid on what I think about an answer choice once I read it. This turns some questions into a horrible time trap when I read the AC wrong and eliminate it. But yes, one of them was quite embarrassing, I read the question stem so quickly, along with a weird cutoff to the next line, that I thought it was a STR question type when it was a MSS... That is about as backwards as one can get. (X

I read a past post you commented on recently. You said you have a grip of PTs left. How long are your blind reviews? I took the test and BRed it in the same day (prob 11 hours total today). In your opinion, is this too fast? I typically do CCR after BR is over.

Also, I love to see your CCRs in the comments of questions I missed, they help a ton!!!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    I read a past post you commented on recently. You said you have a grip of PTs left. How long are your blind reviews? I took the test and BRed it in the same day (prob 11 hours total today). In your opinion, is this too fast? I typically do CCR after BR is over.

I spend about 2 days Blind Reviewing. So I take a PT in the morning, and in the afternoon, I BR Logic Games and review my footage to make a timing sheet. I spend the next day reviewing LR sections. I do RC two days after taking the PT.

@TheDeterminedC said:
    Also, I love to see your CCRs in the comments of questions I missed, they help a ton!!!

Thank you so much <3

Also, I recommend getting a tutor if your budget allows: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1

It would be great if you could record yourself and ask a tutor to analyze how you are performing. You can get specific opinions on what to do. :)

• 1025 karma

I think that is my next move!! Plus, I will be able to review the tapes myself as well. A tutor never even crossed my mind. I'll get one after I take my next PT.
    I appreciate it.