Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Initial Diagnostic Vs BR Score

NathanielNathaniel Member
edited November 2017 in General 78 karma

Hiya,

So initial diagnostic was about a 152, averaged around 155s and up on PTs. BR got me to around EDIT: 165s

I'm at 11h of the CC out of the 98h. My test is December. I cannot postpone as I have a waiver, whcih would mean I'd have to pay for this test, then the charge of rescheduling which I cannot financially do. What do you guys think I can reach with about 30h of weekly studying? (45h I could push it to as I understand virtually all of what he says at a 1.7x speed). Any other tips?

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Hi! I started studying 25 hrs/week 3 weeks ago. I haven't finished the LR yet, but I took a practice test on the section anyway. (I don't recommend that because it was really a waste of my time.) Anyway, comparing it to my diagnostic, I got another 6 questions right. That bumped me up 4 points. That being said, with a month of intense studying you could probably get into the high 150s. One month isn't a lot of time. Can you move your test to February? The deadline for postponement is about a month before the exam, so if you want to, look into it ASAP.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6867 karma

If you were one of my students and went 152 -> 160 in one month, I'd immediately put that into the 'major win' category. Double digit improvement in a one-month timeframe is very rare, and is not even necessarily a function of time (which is certainly necessary, but unfortunately not sufficient). The problems multiply when you consider that the core curriculum is just the theory of the test; putting that knowledge into practice is another humongous hurdle. Expecting everything to just click under timed conditions just because you've learned the theory and done some problem sets is pure fallacy. You can read a book about basketball, and even practice a bit at the local YMCA, but that doesn't mean you're ready to step on the court and ball with NBA players.

The best a student of mine has ever done in a one-month timeframe was 148 -> 163, but the fact that it sticks out so readily in my mind attests to how crazy an outlier that is. I believe my next best short-term result was a 157->164 jump, and I consider that to be a very high-end result as well. To be clear - these represent your best-case scenarios, and there's a pretty substantial chance you won't replicate these results. As well, consider that if I had been given three months with those students instead of just one, I likely could have pushed their scores even higher, so you must also factor in the opportunity costs of taking the test on such short notice versus maximizing your potential but entering law school at a later date.

Throw yourself into it, but don't be surprised if it's much harder than you thought it would be (it always is) and be honest with yourself about your progression. Look into February and June now to hedge against the (high probability) scenario that you can't pull it all together in four weeks, and don't be afraid to suck it up and push it back if you need to.

• NathanielNathaniel Member
    78 karma

I had a waiver for this test and if I change it I would have to pay for this test plus the charge for changing it, which I do not believe I am financially able to do. What is the best advice you guys have for now to the test?? @"Jonathan Wang" @"samantha.ashley92"

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Another thing to consider is that no matter how meticulously you replicate test condition, at the end of the day, it's a PT, and you know it. General consensus is that real scores are about 2-3 points below your PT average due to nerves, conditions, annoying snifflers, etc.

If your BR score is only 160, that means you have roughly 25-30 questions that you missed due to knowledge/logic deficiencies. Those are learnable skills, but they take time. Like JW said above, you have to give yourself time to learn the skills, apply the skills and master the skills in order to maximize potential.
    Which, make no mistake, should be your approach to the lsat. If you choose to take the lsat in December, score a 153, when waiting until February or June would yield a 160, I think you're doing yourself a great disservice. Taking the time to get the biggest score possible is worthwhile, not just for admissions, scholarships and career, but for the intrinsic value and the message it send. You will not settle. You will not accept mediocrity. You will shatter the sky. Mic drop

78 karma

EDIT: roughly 165s with BR
    @tylerdschreur10
    I cannot reschedule due to the above.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Are you 100% that you can't reschedule? Like you've called the LSAC and talked to them about the fee waver situation?

78 karma

I am sure :(

78 karma

Hey so going through the LR CC so far, it looks like I did not understand most theories or concepts when I took the LSAT. I had studied with Kaplan for three - four months and it did nothing except I guess just expose me to what is what if that makes sense. So assume I know nothing. Is a 165 still unreasonable? I am a hard studier and have the work ethic etc and time for the next month

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Nathaniel, I know that taking the LSAT is expensive (im also a low-income student). But if your concern is money, let me break something down for you:
    Lets imagine that you take the test only in December, get a 155, and apply to schools with that score. You save yourself $200 from having had the fee waived, go to a decent school and have to take out a bunch of loans.
    Lets imagine a different scenario where you wait to test in February or June, study in the intervening time, and score 160+. That five point increase will save you THOUSANDS, if not tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships if you attend the same school as in the previous scenario.

I don't know your life and maybe you're in a really tough spot (maybe you have to work 60+ hours/week to make ends meet between now and February such that you don't have time to study anyway), but I would encourage you to find a way to pay for a later test if you are able to study up and score much higher.

In my case personally, because im going into public interest law and don't have huge career aspirations, the primary reason for my wanting to get a high score is to get a full ride at a middle-tier school.

And the best estimate for your actual test-day score is 1-2 points below the average of your last five timed prep tests.