Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get BR score of 160 to 168 within a week

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

So guys I have been consistently scoring a BR of 160 or 159.

This is my BR score right now

LR -7/-8
LG - 2/-3
RC -5/-6

What do you think I should focus on improving on? I really want to increase my BR score to at least 165 within a week. I have been studying full time and have gotten my score up from a 145 to 157 timed.

I need to focus on timing soon so that I can hit 168 on the December test so that I can ultimately get my target score of 164+

Help!

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited November 2017 6866 karma

Your focus should pretty clearly be on LR, as you're missing the most questions on the section that appears twice. If you're only getting 35-36 questions right in LR, you can more or less forget about a 168; -15 is already more than your entire allocation of misses for a 168 in most circumstances (the number of allowable misses to get a 168 from the last five tests: -15, -12, -14, -14, -14). You probably need to be around 43-44 raw in LR to have a decent shot.

Also, I hate to be the downer, but someone's gotta say it so it might as well be me. 160 -> 168 in any context, blind review or otherwise, isn't a one-week enterprise. In seven years of doing this I've never seen it, nor have I ever really even seen anyone come close - and I've seen more than my fair share of high scorers over the years. I'm not saying it's never happened ever, but if anyone knew how to reliably replicate that sort of improvement in that kind of time frame, that person would be rich and all of the rest of us would be unemployed. You're asking to leapfrog 15% of already-high-performing people (80th to 95th percentile) in 7 days, and I'd venture to say that the vast majority of people can't even do that in 7 weeks, or probably even 7 months. (I realize you said blind review, but I don't think that's appreciably different since everyone's scores go way up in blind review).

That said, your path forward isn't complicated - pinpoint what you're screwing up and fix it. Grammar parsing, vocabulary, misreads/attention issues, parsing, logical fundamentals, sheer panic, some combination thereof/all of the above all at once...whatever it is, isolate it and fix it. No such thing as a dumb mistake, and definitely no excuses. Lots of other advice on the generic 'how do I improve LR' topic on this forum, so I'll leave that to you.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I love it when @"Jonathan Wang" shares his LSAT knowledge. Wish he did more often.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@"Jonathan Wang"

I have about a month until now to the December test so if I can even attempt at improving LR by then and hit a 165ish on test day I shall be happy.

I think it's the assumption questions, flaw, and weaken questions that are really giving me trouble especially when near the end of the section.

I have been drilling them down for a while now but still no improvement :neutral:

Thank you for your advice though! I shall start to work on my weaknesses right now.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think that 163 is realistic and it's definitely possible to get a 165. Anything above that would require you to work on speed AND accuracy, which would probably take more time than you have. If you're misunderstanding passages go for RC. If you're missing little words or the idea of p/c go for LR. My recommendation is if you're dead set on getting a 165+ you should retake in February as well.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I think that 163 is realistic and it's definitely possible to get a 165. Anything above that would require you to work on speed AND accuracy, which would probably take more time than you have. If you're misunderstanding passages go for RC. If you're missing little words or the idea of p/c go for LR. My recommendation is if you're dead set on getting a 165+ you should retake in February as well.

I need between a 162+ since some of the schools I am applying to don't accept the February test and I have already applied for those schools because of their deadlines.

I feel like I can improve perhaps on RC, but I still want to improve my LR since I feel like I can answer them more quickly and more accurately when I am being timed. RC on the other hand, not so much....

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    So guys I have been consistently scoring a BR of 160 or 159.

This is my BR score right now

LR -7/-8
    LG - 2/-3
    RC -5/-6

What do you think I should focus on improving on? I really want to increase my BR score to at least 165 within a week. I have been studying full time and have gotten my score up from a 145 to 157 timed.

I need to focus on timing soon so that I can hit 168 on the December test so that I can ultimately get my target score of 164+

Help!

I don't think it is possible @jennybbbbb because you're asking to go from a high school basketball player into starting for the Blue Devils. Increasing your score takes time and patience.

I am going to quote Joel Embiid here, "Trust the process." Keep reviewing and doing the BR.