Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Stretch

With the CC almost done and the LSAT in December, what is the best thing to work on to improve my score?

What info do you guys need from me to best answer my question?

I've been averaging I'd say 160 on PTs, around 165 as of now for BR?

Thanks

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

Check out sage @"Cant Get Right" 's webinar on how to proceed after the CC. It goes in to detail and breaks everything down into very manageable steps.

The best thing to work on to improve your score, generally speaking, will be your weakest section. Logic games seems to be something people can improve on in a relatively short amount of time. So, if you're missing a disproportional amount of points on LG, fool proofing games is likely the next best step!

• NathanielNathaniel Member
    78 karma

How long would it take? Is it feasible with two weeks before the test (two weeks is what I’d have left after finishing the CC)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Nathaniel said:
    How long would it take? Is it feasible with two weeks before the test (two weeks is what I’d have left after finishing the CC)

You can make some substantial gains fool proofing tons of LG in 2 weeks. That said, I don't think it's nearly enough time to hit your potential.

You said your scores are 160/165. What is your end goal?

If it's above a 162 or so, you may want to consider taking the test in Feb/June 2018.

78 karma

I cannot take it past this December for personal reasons, it is my last and best time

78 karma

And what do I need to foolproof? I have PTs 52-71 I think

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Nathaniel said:

You can foolproof any games. You need at least 4 maybe up to 10 clean copies of each game. There is a video on it. Most people foolproof 1-35 to save later tests for PTing.

I'm not sure what gains you'll get from foolproofing for two weeks. I think one month is about the minimum to completely foolproof games and three is more realistic. It ultimately depends on the person.

That said, it obviously starts making you better at games before you are all the way to perfect. So you might see some returns in two weeks.

Finally, a brief note on this being your last opportunity to take it.

Obviously, I can't evaluate your personal reasons for not being able to take after December. But let's talk about how compelling they must be. Let's say you get a 165 in December. Let's further say that in June or September you could get a 170 or 172 if you studied hard in the interim. You could likely get a full tuition scholarship (at least $150,000) at the school you would have just barely got into with the 165. Or alternatively you could go to a school whose degree you consider $150,000 more valuable than the school you would apply to with the 165. I'm not going to say there are not personal reasons against waiting that are that compelling(there nearly certainly are), but there are can't be many. I imagine you are best positioned to know if yours is one of these rare cases, but wanted to be sure you appreciate the stakes.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Personally, I've seen great value in doing specific question types and doing timed sections.

78 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@Nathaniel said:

You can foolproof any games. You need at least 4 maybe up to 10 clean copies of each game. There is a video on it. Most people foolproof 1-35 to save later tests for PTing.

I'm not sure what gains you'll get from foolproofing for two weeks. I think one month is about the minimum to completely foolproof games and three is more realistic. It ultimately depends on the person.

That said, it obviously starts making you better at games before you are all the way to perfect. So you might see some returns in two weeks.

Finally, a brief note on this being your last opportunity to take it.

Obviously, I can't evaluate your personal reasons for not being able to take after December. But let's talk about how compelling they must be. Let's say you get a 165 in December. Let's further say that in June or September you could get a 170 or 172 if you studied hard in the interim. You could likely get a full tuition scholarship (at least $150,000) at the school you would have just barely got into with the 165. Or alternatively you could go to a school whose degree you consider $150,000 more valuable than the school you would apply to with the 165. I'm not going to say there are not personal reasons against waiting that are that compelling(there nearly certainly are), but there are can't be many. I imagine you are best positioned to know if yours is one of these rare cases, but wanted to be sure you appreciate the stakes.

I understand completely. I did evaluate those stakes but it is one of those rare cases. Any other advice moving forward?

@StephenASmith said:
    Personally, I've seen great value in doing specific question types and doing timed sections.

Please elaborate, what do I do specifically?

edited November 2017 4423 karma

@Nathaniel
    I can't say I have much other advice other than to make your chance count.

You shouldn't have a problem running out of tests in the two weeks so I would start with the newest and begin doing foolproofing backwards through the tests you have starting with 71.

I would also recommend doing at least a few more PTs. Focus on the timing while you are taking them. You really want to have a solid feel for it on test day. Blind review them thoroughly. Most of the gains from a PT come from blind review.

Whatever the reason, the December deadline means you'll have to face long odds to get your desired score. But they are called odds and not certainties for a reason. You may very well prevail.

Good luck!

78 karma

I've almost always been good on time, just when I first started I had issues.
    On the September LSAT I took I kept my nerves and did everything and went back to some questions, so that I hope will come through again. Should I focus on timed tests then or untimed to ensure I get them right? Then BR them.

Thank you!!!

4423 karma

@Nathaniel
    I think timed is best right now as long as your planning on taking in December. What I mean by focus on the timing is try just keeping an eye on the time as you take each section (maybe checking your watch whenever you flip a page). Take one PT trying to go through the sections as fast as you can get reasonable answers and then going back and checking through as much as possible. Try another attempting to finish the last question with no time to check, but being thorough as you go through each question. Then take a couple finding your happy medium. You want to be fairly careful and not waste too much time rereading, but also want to be able to circle back fresh to some hard questions, and want a buffer in case the section is unexpectedly hard and you have less time than you expect. You have to find that balance in pacing yourself and it will take a few timed PTs.

Good luck!