Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 10 LR questions -8 but 15 correct on the section.. is this normal?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

On a recent PT I had -8 within the first 10 questions on the first LR section.

Otherwise, I scored 15 on the LR section. I could have gotten 23.

I am not sure if this is due to my anxiety or what...

Aren't the first 10 questions in a LR section generally on the easier side in comparison to mid/end of the section.

I really need at least a 161 on the December test.

HELP!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3279 karma

@jennybbbbb Any chance you made a mistake when transferring your scores to the analytics?

How many do you usually get correct in the first 10 questions?

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@10000019 said:
    @jennybbbbb Any chance you made a mistake when transferring your scores to the analytics?

How many do you usually get correct in the first 10 questions?

No I am sure. Around 8 at least :(

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Did you do a BR? If so, were you able to correct those questions?
    Was there anything different in your routine before taking this section?

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

To answer your question directly - no, not typical. But the better answer, in my opinion, is that it doesn't matter if it's typical, it only matters that you fix it.

Only you can tell whether you missed those questions due to anxiety (or some other meta-aspect of the test) or whether the questions themselves actually gave you difficulty. Reconstruct the thought process you employed in the moment for each question. It shouldn't be difficult from that point to tell whether you have any mechanical difficulty with the question, or whether it was anxiety or some other meta-aspect of the test that got you this time through.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

I would look through the exact types of questions you got wrong. Before I learned to not do this, I took the LR part of a PT before I finished learning all of LR. I got -4 on one section and -10 on the other. I realized that the second section had 8 flaw questions, which I hadn't even learned about yet... so I got most of them wrong. The first section only had 2. That being said, you may just have a weakness in one or two types of questions, which were coincidentally packed into half of those 10 questions. It's worth looking into.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Do you warm up before you take the test? As in do questions before the test? I had a similar problem too where my first LR section was a looot worse than my second section and I realized it's because I never warmed up before the exam.

630 karma

@10000019 said:
    Did you do a BR? If so, were you able to correct those questions?
    Was there anything different in your routine before taking this section?

Yes, I got only one wrong within the first fourteen questions when BRing. No, it was the same as usual. I have no idea what to do at this point..

630 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" said:
    To answer your question directly - no, not typical. But the better answer, in my opinion, is that it doesn't matter if it's typical, it only matters that you fix it.

Only you can tell whether you missed those questions due to anxiety (or some other meta-aspect of the test) or whether the questions themselves actually gave you difficulty. Reconstruct the thought process you employed in the moment for each question. It shouldn't be difficult from that point to tell whether you have any mechanical difficulty with the question, or whether it was anxiety or some other meta-aspect of the test that got you this time through.

I honestly think it's due to anxiety because during BR I knew the exact answer to the question within seconds. I usually can understand the stimulus as well, but when doing a PT... seriously have no idea what happens...

630 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I would look through the exact types of questions you got wrong. Before I learned to not do this, I took the LR part of a PT before I finished learning all of LR. I got -4 on one section and -10 on the other. I realized that the second section had 8 flaw questions, which I hadn't even learned about yet... so I got most of them wrong. The first section only had 2. That being said, you may just have a weakness in one or two types of questions, which were coincidentally packed into half of those 10 questions. It's worth looking into.

@keets993 said:
    Do you warm up before you take the test? As in do questions before the test? I had a similar problem too where my first LR section was a looot worse than my second section and I realized it's because I never warmed up before the exam.

I did take a look to see if there were any specific question types but no luck.. I only missed 1 during BR for the first 14 questions.

I haven't tried that @keets993 before! Maybe that will help with my anxiety? But would you recommend warming up before on test day as well too then?

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@jennybbbbb yes definitely do it before test day! I went back to the curriculum so I can't say much about it but I know that everyone has some different warm up that works for them. Some people do a combination of the three sections, nothing too difficult, but questions that they are familiar with but still gets their brain moving. How many questions you need to do to be warmed up but not overdoing is something you figure out through trial and error.

But I would definitely recommend warming up - maybe 10 questions since you have difficulty with the first 10 - and then doing a new section of LR you haven't done to see if that makes a difference. Not a whole PT but try it out with one section and see if that helps.