Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to truly 'take in' what you've read on the first try?

kshutes13kshutes13 Member
in General 634 karma

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well :3

I seem to have developed this habit while I was in university where I don't really 'take in' what I read on the first try, and usually have to read something 3 or 4 times before attributing meaning to a sentence.

This method clearly isn't flying during timed questions lol. I end up spending more time reading the stimulus than the ACs. I'm stuck in the habit of reading two or three full sentences, going "wait, what did I just read?" and then re-reading it again and again. I want to be able to just read a sentence from a stimulus and immediately compartmentalize it somewhere in my brain so that I know it's there & I don't have to go back and re-read it.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it just mental burnout or is this something that you conquer with time? How do you mentally prepare yourself to take in words on the first try?

Comments

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

It happens to me all the time. That is why I can't seem to get better when I am doing timed sections. What I have tried to do is literally enunciate words as I through each question. I have noticed that this really impacts my score on a section. If I ever forget to enunciate as I am reading, I will not understand a word. The only thing is you can't obviously speak out loud but it still helps. Maybe try this out? It does work! I promise.

Another strategy that has worked for some others is to try to engage with the material or pretend to be really "interested" in what you are reading. I don't think it has anything to do with burnout as many of us experience this with when the time is ticking. I think subconsciously we are focused on having enough time to answer the questions and the fact that this test is a huge deal.

• joeyshalizijoeyshalizi Member
    2 karma

Draw pictures to help you understand what you're reading, therefore rather then going back to re-read it you can look at your diagram. Use the circles and domain ideas JP talked about and other words that can help you remember. My two cents.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

I felt this was one of my exact issues when I first began prepping. And as a result, I felt like I had the same approach of reading things a few times before I was able to "take it in." Early on, I just practiced reading more deliberately than I was used to. I think most of us aren't quite used to reading as carefully as the LSAT requires and it just takes a bit of patience and practice. It's annoying because at first you have to keep reminding yourself, but soon enough hopefully it will become habit and you'll see improvement. Basically, sometimes you have to slow down to speed up.

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

I was struggling with the very same but feeling better about it, initially I was also re-reading the same sentence 3 or 4 times. Then I realized how quickly I was trying to get through the passage to move onto the questions. I tried just slowing down and that seems to help me understand it better the first time. I agree with someone else here about staying very engaged with what you're reading, anticipate where the passage is going. Think to yourself, why is the author telling me this? and this and this and make a quick prediction about where the next paragraph will take you. Also to answer your last question, how do you mentally prepare to take words in on first try,I also would get anxious and feel like I have to mentally prepare myself but as simple as it seems, just practicing lots of timed RC passages helped. I was scared what kind of topic would show up, take some time to drill through passages with topics that especially intimidate. Is it science? Is it literature? try to take a genuine interest in what they're about to discuss, and do visualize concepts. If you find yourself overwhelmed by minute details, the important thing is to understand how a tiny detail fits into the big picture of what the author is trying to communicate. I hope this helps! You got this!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thank you for posting this! This is one of my biggest problems in LR/RC. Great ideas posted above too!

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

While watching J.Y.'s live commentary for PT81 section 2 LR, I noticed that he uses his pencil (and hand holding the pencil) to follow with each word AND he uses the fingers of his other hand to follow the line that he's reading. Both of his hands are totally engaged with what he's reading.

I started doing that and found that more physical engagement with the text has helped me to mentally engage with and focus on what I'm reading. Give it a try!

If you have access to it, here's the link to J.Y.'s live commentary for PT81 section 2 LR: https://7sage.com/lesson/preptest-81-s2-lr-live-commentary/

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    edited November 2017 634 karma

Thanks for all the great advice so far - I started doing some method of reasoning questions this morning and used all the tips above. What I've found most helpful for me is using my pencil and underlining key words/terms so that something that starts as

"Psychologists have claimed that many people are more susceptible to psychological problems in the winter than in the summer"

Turns into "Psychologists - claim - more likely to problems in winter over summer"

For me, this has helped to quickly sum up info in my head so it's quick to digest and easier to recall. It's kind of the equivalent of enunciating words out loud but in my head instead. I also like the idea of drawing, or trying to be more genuinely interested in the subject. I always digest info more easily when I am interested in the topic.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

@partyondudes said:
    While watching J.Y.'s live commentary for PT81 section 2 LR, I noticed that he uses his pencil (and hand holding the pencil) to follow with each word AND he uses the fingers of his other hand to follow the line that he's reading. Both of his hands are totally engaged with what he's reading.

I started doing that and found that more physical engagement with the text has helped me to mentally engage with and focus on what I'm reading. Give it a try!

If you have access to it, here's the link to J.Y.'s live commentary for PT81 section 2 LR: https://7sage.com/lesson/preptest-81-s2-lr-live-commentary/

Oooh this is interesting I'll be sure to try it on my next round of drills!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm not sure if this is specifically pertinent to LSAT reading comp since I never really struggled with the section.

But, in my experience I have always had better retention of passages and readings (whether in undergrad, highschool, or on standardized tests) when I play devil's advocate as I read them. Instead of just trying to understand the reading, aspire to critique the reading while you are reading it. If you do this, you will naturally remember the passage better and may also already have spent some time thinking about and evaluating areas of the passage which there are likely to be questions tied to.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 1866 karma

I've had this problem before, and I recommend following the words with your pencil. I occasionally circle key words (conditional indicators, ctx). This keeps me in focus without hindering me on time.
    I don't know if this pertains to you, but I would also consider whether stress is a factor. It was for me at one point, and specifically in LR. When I get stressed the words go blurry, or I read something but don't comprehend it (forcing me to re-read). For this, I recommend taking a moment to refocus -- I put down my pencil, close my eyes, and take couple deep breaths in and out before resuming. J.Y. talks about this in the CC, too.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

This is such a great question, and one I've had so much trouble overcoming!

One thing I started doing, if I was losing focus or losing the ability to absorb info, was to read every single word like a kindergartner haha. As in, instead of reading a sentence kind of fast and fluidly:

"Jane went to the park this morning."

I read it:

"Jane. Went. To. The. Park. This. Morning."

I've found this helps me gain my focus back. It's a good way to force yourself to slow down and recalibrate yourself!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I subvocalize when I have trouble taking in. (I read that even J.Y. does this!)

@"Paul Caint" said:
    This is such a great question, and one I've had so much trouble overcoming!

One thing I started doing, if I was losing focus or losing the ability to absorb info, was to read every single word like a kindergartner haha. As in, instead of reading a sentence kind of fast and fluidly:

"Jane went to the park this morning."

I read it:

"Jane. Went. To. The. Park. This. Morning."

I've found this helps me gain my focus back. It's a good way to force yourself to slow down and recalibrate yourself!

Me too! Also, if it said, "Jane, who is ........... and ..........., went to the park this morning." I put brackets around [who is ........... and ...........] so that I can read "Jane went to the park this morning" first and then read modifiers.