Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

156 to 165 is it possible for February? Reading Comp Issues!

I am taking the December LSAT and from my prep work and thinking I am going to be in the 155-158 range. I am going to retake the exam in February, does anyone think it is possible to increase my score to 165?

My biggest issue is timing! I have always been a slow reader and I am finding reading comp impossible. Any suggestions on how I can improve my score if I am a slow reader?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3279 karma

@bendayanjenna
    Don't be concerned about this at all right now. You can think about this after the December LSAT.

How many are you currently getting wrong in RC? What is your accuracy % for attempted questions in RC?

• jenna2713jenna2713 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 33 karma

@10000019
    Around 75% on attempted, if I don't rush through but in those attempts I can only complete 3/4 sections (at best).

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

How would you say you're a slow reader? As in it takes you a long time to read a sentence? Or that you read a sentence but don't understand it so you have to re-read it?

edited November 2017 33 karma

@"Paul Caint"
    I think it takes me a long time to read a sentence, and if I attempt to read faster I must reread.

3279 karma

@bendayanjenna said:
    @10000019
    Around 75% on attempted, if I don't rush through but in those attempts I can only complete 3/4 sections (at best).

What's your current approach to reading a passage? Do you find yourself rereading the passage? Once you start on the questions, what is your approach and how long do you typically spend on the questions?

33 karma

@10000019
    I read the passage making notions at changing viewpoints and argument structure, examples, definition, main point, and try to underline words that may indicate tone. Then depending on the difficulty on average spend about a minute per question.

3279 karma

@bendayanjenna said:
    @10000019
    I read the passage making notions at changing viewpoints and argument structure, examples, definition, main point, and try to underline words that may indicate tone. Then depending on the difficulty on average spend about a minute per question.

How much time do you spend on the passage including the time spent notating it? Do you go back to your notes?

Personally I take minimal notes. This is due to me writing very slowly and having horrendous handwriting that is difficult to decipher (even for me!).

I'm curious whether you are a slow reader or spend too much time notating.

33 karma

@10000019
    I tend to go back to my notes (which are usually just one or two letter(s) because it breaks up the passage for me. I only recently started notation after readying the PowerScore bible. I'm not sure if its helping but in general I am just not reading fast enough.