Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Qualifies as a "significant difference" in LSAT scores?

CrispyCritterCrispyCritter Free Trial Member

many schools request that applicants write an LSAT addendum when they have two or more scores that are "significantly different" but they do not define what this means in terms of points! The only school I have seen define it is University of Michigan, which considers a difference of 6 or more significant. Should this be the standard to apply to all schools that ask this questions? Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

It is a good rule of thumb.

Let's say you split a range.

• you get 155

• -6 points gets you a 149
      • +6 points gets you a 161

It moves you fairly significantly out of the mid 150's. It actually moves you out of the 150's all together! If you want to be cautious, maybe use a 5 point difference. 1-3 points, often times, can just be random noise in the test however.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

If you're within the score band of your initial result, I don't consider it a significant difference.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:
    If you're within the score band of your initial result, I don't consider it a significant difference.

I too would consider significant difference a change in scores above your score band.