Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yale resume overlap

Yale is a real long shot for me, as I'm sure it is for many of us, but I'm trying to have my application ready to go the instant I receive my December LSAT score. Just in case I pull a 175 or something :) Anyway, Yale asks for addenda describing extracurricular activity during college, including paid employment, and post-college activities. Both specify to include this info separately from a resume. Obviously a lot of that information is already included in my standard resume that I've used for other schools. Should I include my resume as is, leading to redundancies, or cut out such redundant info from my resume? Most of my significant work experience came during or since college, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I'm afraid cutting all this will make my resume look pretty pathetic...?

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Don't cut things out of your resume.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@goingfor99th said:

So it's better to list the same job twice? Once in a full resume and once in an "activities during college" attachment?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:

@goingfor99th said:

So it's better to list the same job twice? Once in a full resume and once in an "activities during college" attachment?

Yeah. These Yale 'lists' are supposed to be pretty simple. You're basically just telling them how you spend your time. They're probably more interested to learn about your non-professional life, since like you've noted there is some redundancy. You want to show them you have a rich inner life and don't spend your days on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.

For example, on my list I included things like 'taking care of my dog,' 'practicing nutrition,' and 'mechanic work on personal automobile.'

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

That makes sense. thanks @goingfor99th
    I was curious about how simple to go with my activities, so glad for the indirect input on that subject as well!