Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is your undergrad school important?

I'm a junior at FIT and plan on going to law school when I graduate. I'm wondering whether T-15 law schools place a lot of emphasis on where one went for undergrad. I originally decided to go to FIT because I thought I wanted to work in fashion but over the last couple years I've decided to completely change career paths and become a lawyer. I was originally a Fashion Business major and then I switched to my current major, International Trade & Marketing.I take all business, political science, and gen-ed types of classes. I've managed to obtain quite a high GPA (3.75) and only expect it to go higher. I hope to have an LSAT score to match. Since I didn't go to a traditional type of college, will law schools not look favorably at me or is it to my benefit that I'm not the most traditional of applicants?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Not as important as your LSAT or GPA. Stick with a major that is either going to pad your GPA or one that you can use if you don't end up going to law school.
    PS
    3.75 isn't that high of a GPA for T15 schools.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

It can be but really it seems to be a geographic thing. If your location makes you diverse, that's good. Beyond that, a school's reputation may be a consideration.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

GPA and LSAT are massively more important. Will the rigor of your university/college from which you receive your degree play a role? Quite possibly, but maybe not as much if you have a great LSAT score and a high GPA.

At this point, there's not much you can do about it. So, focus on getting your GPA as high as you possibly can. A 3.75 is good, but a 3.8 or 3.85 or 3.9 sounds much better and will benefit you immensely. If the university you attend isn't traditional or isn't strong, make sure you stand out from your peers by having a great GPA.

I graduated from what I would personally characterize as an average private school and I personally know someone (from my university) who went to a top 20 law school, and could've gone to numerous higher ranked schools; she was admitted everywhere she applied.

She got there from having a 3.9 and having a good LSAT.

So, focus on getting your GPA as high as practicably possible. Straight A's if you can manage it :smile:

Good luck!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't know much about FIT, is it accredited and you'll receive a bachelors? Generally though, no your school doesn't really matter. It's basically a soft - if you went to a particularly high ranked or difficult university they might note that, but LSAT and GPA are vastly more important than the school.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I don't know much about FIT, is it accredited and you'll receive a bachelors? Generally though, no your school doesn't really matter. It's basically a soft - if you went to a particularly high ranked or difficult university they might note that, but LSAT and GPA are vastly more important than the school.

This is correct. You can, at least for the most part, treat attending a top undergrad as a soft. LSAT/GPA are ultimately going to be what decides what law schools you get admitted to.

You have a great GPA and if you can raise it, even better!