Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major fluctuation in PT Scores

RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
in General 142 karma

Help! I took the LSAT in December and scored a 165 (I majorly messed up on two games). Since then, I've been seeing a lot of improvement, especially after taking a full week off following the LSAT. I'm concerned by the variation in my scores, though- my last four PT scores have been 172, 174, 180, and a 167, with BR scores at 179-180. There's huge variation within my section scores as well, with my best in each sections being -0 and my worst -4/-5 (average is -2.2 for each section). Since the LSAT I've been working on foolproofing LG and I'm thinking about moving on to working on LR next week. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be working on and how to explain the huge variation in my PT scores? Thank you!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited December 2017 8392 karma

It’s always frustrating when there’s inconsistency, but overall your scores sound really really great. How long have you been studying? And did you go through all of the cc? Have there been a lot of outliers like that 167 PT or has your inconsistency just been in that 172-180 range?

My gut says you’re more consistent than you think you are. Everyone has certain tests that for some reason throw them off. I was pretty consistently PTing 167-169 and I took PT82 (the September LSAT) and scored 163. I knew it’d be rough because I’d heard how brutal RC was and that’s my worst section. So I think unless you’re consistently scoring 179-180s and basically perfected it, there’s always a chance a specific test will play to your personal weaknesses and throw you for a loop.

Because of your PT and BR scores, it sounds like you really know this material. It may just be a matter of doing more drilling until it becomes more consistent. My scores haven’t been as high as yours, but I went through a period right after I finished the cc and my scores were extremely inconsistent, anywhere between 156 and 167. I just kept drilling and doing timed sections and after a couple of months, my scores got really consistent as my grasp of the material grew. So if you haven’t been at this a long time, it’s possible you’re going through a similar phase like I did and I think just continued drilling will help! Since your scores are so high overall, I don’t think there’s any really specific advice you might need. You definitely have all the fundamentals down.

Sorry that’s not more helpful! But your scores overall are great, so I think if you just keep practicing, the consistency will happen.

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@"Leah M B" thanks so much for your kind and helpful comment! I think you’re right about the time factor. I’ve been studying since August, but I work full time so I probably haven’t put in the hours. I’m just going to keep at it. Thanks for being so positive, I’ve been really bummed about missing out on my dream school this cycle so your comment helps me feel better about my chances for next year!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"ila.k1482" said:
    @"Leah M B" thanks so much for your kind and helpful comment! I think you’re right about the time factor. I’ve been studying since August, but I work full time so I probably haven’t put in the hours. I’m just going to keep at it. Thanks for being so positive, I’ve been really bummed about missing out on my dream school this cycle so your comment helps me feel better about my chances for next year!

I totally understand, I work full time too so it’s tough to get in a lot of hours. That’s a fantastic score for only studying since August! You’re really doing so well. I’ve been studying since March (minus December, just working on applications) and I have yet to crack 170 in PTs, my top so far is 169 with BR between 175-180. If you wait a cycle and keep drilling, you’re gonna blow this test out of the water.