Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major fluctuation in Prep-test Scores

laurossmanlaurossman Free Trial Member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 LSAT 8 karma
I'm really starting to worry.. 3 months ago I was scoring in the 150s. I've studied extensively since. Over time that got up to 160, and over the course of the next four tests, my score remained in the 160s, my highest of which was a 167. My next PT dropped to 159, but there were a couple bubbling errors I had made, so my actual raw score put me at 160. But then my most recent test, which I took earlier today, was a 156! That's what I would've gotten 3 months ago! And I've been working so hard and feel like I've made MAJOR improvements. And it's not like my studying has slowed or anything recently. I've kept up with it and have been focusing on issue areas. I think I may just need to get better at timing/pacing myself, because I do run out of time with each section. I'm not really sure what to think. All I know is that I'm extremely frustrated and nervous. Is this happening to anyone else?

Comments

• seamusyarbroughseamusyarbrough Free Trial Member
    36 karma
    This is happening to me lately. I don't know if it was the fact that earlier tests are easier to me or what. I went from mid 160s to hitting 170s, once a 179. Now I have started taking PT 50+ and I am back down to 160s barely over my original average. I have been studying like a crazy person as well. Have you recently switched to newer PTs? It seems they are different enough to through people off.
  • NathanialNathanial Alum Member
    124 karma
    First of all don't worry your not losing all the hard work you put in. This can happen at times for a number of reasons ( Need a small break, stress etc). I am scoring in the 160s as well and then boom i hit a 147. For me it was mainly just slight fatigue and frustration that caused the result as when I was doing my BR i was more calm and cool ( did it the next day). In my BR I scored a 170 so I knew it was just a combination of things that got me. I took a 2-3 days off and just relaxed and got back into studying and everything was fine afterwards.

Timing/ pacing: I would recommend for timing and pacing you either get the Cambridge drills (if you are ok paying for it) or just go back to the drills sections from the lessons and just do drills and see the pattern in each question. Same goes for RC and LG. Just keep reviewing the methods 7sage put in on how to get better at each section and you will definitely see improvements. Personally, I just started using the Cambridge drills and love them as they organize everything from easiest to hardest. That way you can kinda see the pattern in each an everything the Lsat does.

Sorry for blabbering on but hope this helps :)
    good luck.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    The score conversion scales on newer PTs are much less forgiving than the old ones. I was scoring in the mid 170s on the old PTs and then dropped to the high 160s low 170s on the newer ones despite missing roughly the same amount of questions
  • msmith85msmith85 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Yes, the tests have changed.

Also, major fluctuations may point to a problem in your fundamentals. Are you missing problems you know you should have gotten? Are you making mistakes that you look back on and say 'Gosh I should have known better!'

Either way, maybe review the fundamental 7sage lessons, or any other prep materials you've used, and make sure your foundations are SOLID
  • laurossmanlaurossman Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I took a day off and I think it helped. I also have been extra strict about the timing, and came up with timing plans for each section. The LR sections in particular have improved. It's strange, when I move through the first 13 questions quickly, in about 13 and a half minutes, I tend to do better on those 13 questions than I would have if I spent 17 minutes on them. I think someone like me, who is naturally terrible with standardized tests, it's better to move fast through those easier ones, because you don't give yourself the chance to over-analyze things and confuse the crap out of yourself. Anyway, I'm back up to a 167. But I'm still nervous about something going wrong on test day and scoring way below my ability.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    be careful of the 13 in 13 and such, the newer tests seem to be throwing in some tougher questions a little earlier and some easier later which throws a wrench in it so you can use it but dont go crazy if it doesnt work out that way
  • shane.mcglashenshane.mcglashen Alum Member
    194 karma
    Yeah same thing happened to me. RC became much more difficult out of nowhere, and I felt as though the LR passages, while still the same core idea, became a little different i.e. context becoming more relevant sometimes, structurally more clear but still different et cetera. I've seen my score jump back up to where it used to be as long as I didn't get discouraged and just kept focusing on the question of: How is my understanding wrong/why did I get this wrong, and how do I understand it/identify it, not only more quickly but with more accuracy.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Yup. I did PT 72 yesterday and some of the toughest LR questions for me were before #12 which was unexpected. The "13 in 13" or "15 in 15" no longer applies.
  • clarissa.hclarissa.h Alum Member
    50 karma
    I can tell you with a lot of confidence that the fact of you being frustrated and nervous is a MAJOR CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to your score irregularity.

I would have a conversation with myself about why I'm assigning so much meaning to this test (not law school admissions meaning, cuz your PT's don't carry that meaning - your PT's are tools for you like a dance studio is a tool to prepare for the stage - what goes on in the studio CANNOT be treated as indicative of what will go on on the stage; it's only indicative of what needs to go on next in the studio).
    Answer yourself honestly, and acknowledge how silly it is to take the PT's so seriously. Then dismiss that sentiment and just move on to having fun using your PT's to practice. Try reusing some, to get used to the feeling of the test.
  • clarissa.hclarissa.h Alum Member
    50 karma
    Also, it just points more to the attitude your approaching the test with that reading is the one suddenly dropping. It requires the most sustained focus, because you've got to follow an entire passage as opposed to a 3-5 sentence blurb. I would say this section is more vulnerable to loss of points due to loss of sustained focus. Negative thoughts (nervousness, anxiety, frustration, worry about time, thinking about your score, etc. etc.) are an indisputable distraction. You can't be 100% focused on what you're doing at the moment (i.e. reading and processing the passage, fully engaged) AND be thinking about something else (like about scoring your test, how much time is left on the clock / are you moving too slow/too fast, should you go back and double check that last question? etc. etc.). Every time these thoughts pop up, just ask yourself if it's relevant. If the answer is no, comfortably shift you focus back to the task at hand.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    It happened to me... what you NEED to do is to take a short break of a couple of days... recharge your batteries and do not think anything LSAT... then work with the material again... likely, you will find that not only has your score gone back up, but your understanding of the material is a bit better as well. Its probably burnout... take time away from the material so that you can look at it again with a fresh perspective & not a jaded one. As far as timing goes... focus on getting better at the stuff... that is what shaves off the seconds which turn into minutes.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    It happens! Take a little mini break and relax your mind. Come back at the next prep test with fresh eyes and kill it :) sometimes you just need a refresher to be human again for a second.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Take a break and relax. Just remember that all of your hard will eventually pay off. Do not get discouraged :)