Postponing a cycle - Course advice

xtinextinextinextine Member
in General 861 karma

Hi! Hope everyone is enjoying the rest of 2017!

So I got my December score back (155). I was aiming for a 160, but since I was PTing around 155-157, I'm not shocked at my score. I've decided to postpone a cycle and retest in June! While my PT scores were kinda low, I was BRing in the mid to upper 160s, which makes me think that come June, I'll be able to hit my new goal of 165. I might adjust this if I see substantial progress over the next few months.

Some background: I started self-studying in June for the September LSAT and bombed it. Looking back, I wasn't dedicating enough time. I was only studying part-time since I had (and still have) a full-time job. Thankfully I found 7Sage shortly after. I got the Starter pack in September and finished the CC. I have the Powerscore bibles for LR and LG and have gone through most of them. I also have the Trainer, but I didn't get a chance to go through it before December. I've done PTs 58-72 (I didn't account for having to extend my prep) and a couple of the older tests.

My question is how should I move forward with my prep? I'm willing to spend some of that Christmas $$$ on Ultimate+ because I definitely need that LG Bundle. When I buy Ultimate+, should I go through the entire CC again? Or just focus on my weak spots? I plan on supplementing with the Trainer this time. Also, would dedicating January to fool-proofing the LG Bundle be a good idea? I've never focused an entire month on one section before. Overall, I want to spend my time wisely since my account would expire at the end of April.

Thanks in advance! I swear this community has kept me relativity sane through all this stress!

Completely unrelated: I received a fee waiver from WUSTL earlier this week via email...which is super weird because 155 is wayyy below their 25% and my GPA is a few tenths short of their median GPA. lol I have good softs but not that good. Are they looking to up their application numbers or something?

Comments

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@xtinextine
    155 was my first score 3 years ago. I just scored 160 after getting back on the train this past summer. I too am retesting and starting my study reboot plan for June. I'll probably get the Trainer, start fool-proofing logic games and then get back on to the other sections and PTing again later in the spring. I had been starting to do better on LG before December but bombed my LG section on test day so I know that's where I need to start. And yeah I plan on reviewing most of the CC here.

I can't comment on Ultimate though, since there's no way I could pay that much for prep.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@TinaTheLlama

Congrats on hitting 160!!

I bombed LG on test day, too! I think it was a combination of nerves and also not being exposed to enough games. I'm hoping the LG Bundle will help with that.

How do you think you will approach foolproofing LG with the Starter course? Are you going to set aside some of those PTs for foolproofing games? The main reason I find Ultimate+ attractive is the LG Bundle. I only own about 30 tests through those LSAC PT bundles. I think the best way to hit my target score is to get as close to -0 on LG because LR always kills me lol.

It's lot of money for sure. I'm not starting up studying again until the new year, so I think I'll decide then. Even if I don't splurge for Ultimate+, I think I will still upgrade to get harder drill sets.

Let me know if you need a study partner!

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@xtinextine said:

How do you think you will approach foolproofing LG with the Starter course? Are you going to set aside some of those PTs for foolproofing games?

The starter course comes with LG explanations for every test. I'm going to follow one of 7Sage's pieces of advice - for every game I can, photocopy it and redo it like 10 times. I have 9 fresh tests left and I'm going to go reorder the book of 62-71tests that I did before I had an effective study plan and before I started the 7Sage curriculum. That gives me 72 games by the end of this new study plan. Plus a bunch of old ones I'll try to redo even though they're marked up.

I'm going to spend two months on Core Curriculum Review, Logic Games and reading (because I think my verbal processing speed is just tarding out because I haven't been enough the past few years), then the last three months do a full fresh practice test every two weeks with section drills in between.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@xtinextine said:
    Hi! Hope everyone is enjoying the rest of 2017!

So I got my December score back (155). I was aiming for a 160, but since I was PTing around 155-157, I'm not shocked at my score. I've decided to postpone a cycle and retest in June! While my PT scores were kinda low, I was BRing in the mid to upper 160s, which makes me think that come June, I'll be able to hit my new goal of 165. I might adjust this if I see substantial progress over the next few months.

Some background: I started self-studying in June for the September LSAT and bombed it. Looking back, I wasn't dedicating enough time. I was only studying part-time since I had (and still have) a full-time job. Thankfully I found 7Sage shortly after. I got the Starter pack in September and finished the CC. I have the Powerscore bibles for LR and LG and have gone through most of them. I also have the Trainer, but I didn't get a chance to go through it before December. I've done PTs 58-72 (I didn't account for having to extend my prep) and a couple of the older tests.

My question is how should I move forward with my prep? I'm willing to spend some of that Christmas $$$ on Ultimate+ because I definitely need that LG Bundle. When I buy Ultimate+, should I go through the entire CC again? Or just focus on my weak spots? I plan on supplementing with the Trainer this time. Also, would dedicating January to fool-proofing the LG Bundle be a good idea? I've never focused an entire month on one section before. Overall, I want to spend my time wisely since my account would expire at the end of April.

Thanks in advance! I swear this community has kept me relativity sane through all this stress!

Completely unrelated: I received a fee waiver from WUSTL earlier this week via email...which is super weird because 155 is wayyy below their 25% and my GPA is a few tenths short of their median GPA. lol I have good softs but not that good. Are they looking to up their application numbers or something?

Yeah, I'd spend your Christmas money to upgrade to Ult+, work the LG bundle and LR packs or LR question types you're having trouble with. The explanations and q-bank will also be super helpful!

Should you re-do the entire CC? That depends. Did you properly go through it and learn everything the first time around? I think with ~5 months until June test it may be worth going through it again, skipping parts now that seem obvious and slowing down for the parts where you know you need more work. The fact you're BR'ing to the mid-160s tells me you at least have a solid base.

If you upgrade you'll get the additional months added on if you email @"Dillon A. Wright" , so don't worry about trying to rush and finish by April.

Keep hammering your weaknesses and work on your techniques, strategies, and skills, and come June you'll be ready to score that 165 :)