Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any studying tips to break the high 150s/low 160s? (specifically LR)

jeje9999jeje9999 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 69 karma
I started with a 141 diagnostic, and with the help of 7sage, I have gone up to a 163 as my highest so far, after 4 months of studying. I am thankful for the improvement, but I have a ways to go because my target is 165-167 for Canadian schools. My marks went from being all over the 150s, to stabilizing at around low 160s just last week. Weakest section would have to be LR as I can get up to 10 wrong on an individual LR section (flaw being my weakest point). LG and RC are better for me.

The past 2 weeks have been PT-ing every other day, and blind reviewing on off days + just going over questions I did wrong using JY's video explanations. That's about it. I feel like my study plan needs major tweaking because I feel like I'm rushing through too many PTs without REALLY making improvements on weak areas (although doing many PTs has helped greatly with timing). Should I go back to lessons more, and review wrong questions more than once?. I read in other threads that some people would cut out LR questions they got wrong and to review them often. How do people go about reviewing their mistakes, and how often should I do it? Any studying tips/plans to make big improvements in LR? Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• TheMusaTheMusa Alum Member
    35 karma
    The biggest thing that helped me with LR was really understanding how arguments work on the LSAT and understanding what the question is asking. It's not enough to know that premises support the conclusion and you have to address that support. You have to truly understand how that works. Most LR questions revolve around this understanding.
    What are they trying to convince me of? what are they using as support for this position? how is this supporting the conclusion? What would weaken/strengthen how this premise supports this conclusion? without attacking either the premise/conclusion.
    Also logic. For those questions that hinge on logic, they seem really tough before you know logic, and basically gimmes afterwards.
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    I'm in the same boat.. Especially with RC because I try to force myself to find the topics interesting but it doesn't always help lol...
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    but for LR i re-watch the lessons in the section that I am getting wrong the most & re-do problem sets. & then after a few days go by I type up the questions from the past PT I took & then try to answer them. Towards the end I will have a list of all the LR questions I get wrong & spend an entire weekend working over them. Just for extra practice. It helps reinforce what I've learn from the lessons & also how to better approach those questions in the next PT.