Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Help

I improved my LSAT score from the September test to the December test by 4 points. I am now taking the February test to try and improve my chances of better scholarships and a few schools median score are only a few points away. I have reviewed my test from December and I missed the same type of questions as I did last time. The break down of the questions missed are as follows:

Assumption- 9
Strengthen- 4
MBT- 3
Parallel- 4 (Honestly, I didn't try on these questions because I see them as time eaters)
Flaw- 3
Paradox- 1

I am wondering what I am missing with the assumption questions. I struggled during my prep before this test. I just could not understand how to answer the questions.

Also, does anyone believe I am making a mistake to take the test again?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CharberLSAT said:
    I improved my LSAT score from the September test to the December test by 4 points. I am now taking the February test to try and improve my chances of better scholarships and a few schools median score are only a few points away. I have reviewed my test from December and I missed the same type of questions as I did last time. The break down of the questions missed are as follows:

Assumption- 9
    Strengthen- 4
    MBT- 3
    Parallel- 4 (Honestly, I didn't try on these questions because I see them as time eaters)
    Flaw- 3
    Paradox- 1

I am wondering what I am missing with the assumption questions. I struggled during my prep before this test. I just could not understand how to answer the questions.

Also, does anyone believe I am making a mistake to take the test again?

Never a mistake to retake for a higher score now that there are unlimited takes!

It's really impossible to say what you're missing w/ assumption family questions without more details.

Can you diagram out and understand conditional logic in LSAT arguments?
    Do you understand the ideas of sufficiency and necessity?
    Are you able to identify the conclusion + support in arguments?
    Are you able to see why the support does not completely substantiate the conclusion (see the gap in the reasoning) ?

• CharberLSATCharberLSAT Member
    22 karma

@"Alex Divine"
    I can about 95% identify the conclusion and arguments in most situations.

I do understand the difference between sufficiency and necessity.

My diagraming is okay. I have watched the lessons over and over again and I still struggle. In fact, when I started the diagraming, I started missing more of the assumption questions. I think I have started to over think it.

I often don't see the gap in the reasoning. I think that is where I am falling.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2018 10774 karma

@CharberLSAT said:

My diagraming is okay. I have watched the lessons over and over again and I still struggle. In fact, when I started the diagraming, I started missing more of the assumption questions. I think I have started to over think it.

You really don't need to diagram these questions especially under time. When you diagram the chances of missing the complexity of the questions rise really really high. So your approach should be to just read these questions and try to be critical of the argument. Does the premise justify the conclusion? Why not?

I often don't see the gap in the reasoning. I think that is where I am falling.

You just identified correctly what the problem is. Most NA questions have a gap between premise and conclusion, especially the easier ones. The harder ones the gap is really hard to identify so you have to give your answer choices a chance to point it out for you.

I really suggest going through NA core curriculum again and learning how to identify gaps in the argument and for the harder ones letting the answer choices feed to you where the gap might lie.