Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Annoying Issue of 2nd Guessing!

sbzan25sbzan25 Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Logical Reasoning 42 karma

Hey everyone,

So I seem to always have an issue of 2nd guessing my answers... and most of the time it is in LR. Within the two answers that I come down to, 1 is always the right answer and then the other is not. However... I find myself 2nd guessing the ones that just seem too obvious, and since the answer choice seems too simple or too obvious I don't end up choosing it. I would say that 9 times out of 10 when I get an LR question wrong it is because of 2nd guessing the answer choice (I actually note the ones I 2nd guess on, which is how I know this).

I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers in how to deal with this... how can I finally stop 2nd guessing those answers?! Overcoming this problem is way harder than it seems lol.

Thanks!! Happy studying :)

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma

This is a good sign, assuming that it's only just begun to happen and hasn't been a chronic problem in your testing. When this happened to me, it meant that my skills were more on par with the test than previously. Most of the time when I had narrowed an LR down to two ACs and I picked the wrong one, the one that I didn't pick was in fact the correct answer choice. When I was uncertain but had answered correctly, however, the second best answer choice was often a trap or trick or an otherwise convincing AC.

Overcoming it has to do with continuing to build fundamental skills and keeping your head about you/staying confident.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sbzanelli said:
    Hey everyone,

So I seem to always have an issue of 2nd guessing my answers... and most of the time it is in LR. Within the two answers that I come down to, 1 is always the right answer and then the other is not. However... I find myself 2nd guessing the ones that just seem too obvious, and since the answer choice seems too simple or too obvious I don't end up choosing it. I would say that 9 times out of 10 when I get an LR question wrong it is because of 2nd guessing the answer choice (I actually note the ones I 2nd guess on, which is how I know this).

I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers in how to deal with this... how can I finally stop 2nd guessing those answers?! Overcoming this problem is way harder than it seems lol.

Thanks!! Happy studying :)

Always try to eliminate one rather than look for what is making one "better" or "more correct" than the other. I find when I'm stuck it usually comes down to something I mis-read in the stim or something I'm not getting. I usually skip these, re-read the stim, and make sure I didn't accidentally eliminate a correct answer choice.