Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Argument for Walking

kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
in General 1617 karma

Today a friend mentioned that headache you get after staring at a computer screen for a long time. Y'know, the one behind the eyes that makes you feel nauseous? This got me thinking about last semester, where I was taking five classes (all required extensive computer use), had a part time job (again, using computers), and working on 7sage (an online course). I would notice after long day of working on the computer, I was groggy and couldn't quite piece things together like normal.

My classes are about a fifteen minute walk from my apartment and I made it a priority to not look at or use technology while walking to class. No answering texts/emails. No listening to podcasts. Nothing. Just me, my thoughts, and my walk. And I think it truly helped.

Einstein would go for daily walks, no matter what. Getting moving not only helps, but so does having an "empty" mind. If you can, I recommend getting a walk in at least once a day. I noticed things on my campus that I've been walking past for three years now. Did walking alone allow me to score 20 points higher on my Dec. test? Nah. But I do think clearing my mind helped my studying. Now that I drive everywhere, I miss the freedom of letting my mind wonder on walks. If you notice yourself stagnating, try to get outside and move a little. Who knows, it may help.

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I whole heatedly agree with this. My final semester before graduation, I started to do a light run every morning (unless I worked out that day). Nothing intense, but just light jog. I feel like it really helped me physically get my day running and at minimum got my morning off to a great start! Also allowed me to clear my head and organize my day better!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:

Now that I drive everywhere, I miss the freedom of letting my mind wonder on walks. If you notice yourself stagnating, try to get outside and move a little. Who knows, it may help.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I think I'll put my phone away on my way home from work today and just walk.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kimmy_m66 said:

Now that I drive everywhere, I miss the freedom of letting my mind wonder on walks. If you notice yourself stagnating, try to get outside and move a little. Who knows, it may help.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I think I'll put my phone away on my way home from work today and just walk.

Do it! It's so good to give your mind a break from technology (I see the irony of saying this over the internet lmao). Even if you just break for one leg of the journey, it makes a difference.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Sleep is also important. Sleep deprivation, so tempting when working full-time and studying for LSAT, adversely affects one's mental, physical, and emotional health in myriad ways.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I studied espicially reviewing LR questions I had missed while walking. My campus is too big to waste all the walking time on not studying. But, I agree with the sentiment that we all need to do something to relax and walking is a good option.

Many people have taken up meditation for similar purposes.

I have found juggling to be calming and to help leave me alone with my thoughts.

No matter what we do have to learn to tend to our mental and physical health if not for the LSAT, then for careers in law which can be a stressful field.