Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many PTs did it take for people to see improvements

briangeiger80-1briangeiger80-1 Alum Member
in General 7 karma

Hello everyone,

I took 3 pts so far and my score have been the same (154).

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

1 test for me. Have you gone through the CC? Do you thoroughly review your tests?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"briangeiger80-1" said:
    Hello everyone,

The thing is, you have to make sure you're doing literally all you can in between PTs to get better. Let's say you missed 7 questions on each section. Don't take another PT until you have addressed and corrected the reasons why you missed each and every one of those questions. For LR, make sure to revisit the CC and utilize JY's explanations to get a detailed breakdown of the question/argument/answer choices and examine why you missed it. Make sure to drill q types you are weak on as well. For LG, you need to make sure you are fool proofing the games on each PT and doing a good amount of fool proofing outside of PTs. At minimum, I would suggest drilling games until you are consistently close to missing only 1-2.

The most important thing to takeaway is a plan to not make the same mistakes again when you encounter similar questions/games in the future. The LSAT is largely a test of pattern recognition. Most questions are standard, cookie cutter questions and all that changes are the subjects, nouns, verbs, etc. The logic and strategy of how to answer them correctly stays exactly the same.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4423 karma

@"briangeiger80-1" said:
    Hello everyone,

Well in total, 79 practice tests for 12 points of improvement from my diagnostic. So maybe a point every 6 practice tests on average. However, I think things like drilling, foolproofing, blind reviewing and regular reviewing probably all helped more than just taking the PTs themselves.

The test is supposed to be reliable in the sense that once you are familiar with it, the mere exposure doesn't give you a lot of benefit. You get about the same score over and over unless you do something to change it (and sometimes even for a while when you are studying in a way which will change it over time). You have to actually make measurable progress at the skills which it tests to get a higher score.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

+1 to @"Seeking Perfection" 's post. LSAT progressed isn't measured by how many preptests you have taken. Yes, many high scorers have taken many preptests, but what matters how you review and how you change your overall approach to the exam. Many people plateau because of this reason, at a certain point you need to change how you think for this exam.

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@"briangeiger80-1" said:
    Hello everyone,

Well in total, 79 practice tests for 12 points of improvement from my diagnostic. So maybe a point every 6 practice tests on average. However, I think things like drilling, foolproofing, blind reviewing and regular reviewing probably all helped more than just taking the PTs themselves.

The test is supposed to be reliable in the sense that once you are familiar with it, the mere exposure doesn't give you a lot of benefit. You get about the same score over and over unless you do something to change it (and sometimes even for a while when you are studying in a way which will change it over time). You have to actually make measurable progress at the skills which it tests to get a higher score.