Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic conditional statement Q from the curriculum

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
in General 3652 karma

One of the flash card quizzes early on in the curriculum asks to write out the logic for “Carrots cannot grow in the winter”

JY answered it as G —> /W

I understand this bc it’s just one sentence with one subject so obviously the G refers to carrots. I was thinking of it in the context of a long LR question which will probably have multiple subjects and probably compare diff vegetables, so adding a C in there somewhere is a good idea.

I wrote it as C —> /GW

I know that the way it’s labeled is somewhat arbitrary as long as the meaning is the same. I’m not sure if the saying “if [a carrot] grows, it is not winter,” is the same as “if you are a carrot, you don’t grow in the winter”

I guess this is a question of how to label subject/predicate/object/details modifying the predicate within conditionals.

Thoughts?

Which one is it
  1. C —> /GW4 votes
    1. G —> /W
      25.00%
    2. Either, doesn’t matter
      75.00%

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27891 karma

I think either is okay here. Sometimes, there is an ideal word/phrase to focus on, particularly in conditional statements using compound sentences, but I think here it's a nominal decision.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

I also believe either is okay in this situation.
    As for how to label in the future, it's most important to use labels that you understand, provided that they're an accurate translation of the sentence/concepts. It doesn't really matter wether you write C --> /GW or G --> /W or A --> /B etc., as long as it conveys the meaning "carrots cannot grow in the winter" when you read it for yourself.