Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with Rationale Form

kshutes13kshutes13 Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 634 karma

I am pursuing a dual degree at one of the law schools I applied for (JD/MES). The school recently contacted me and said I did not meet their minimum academic requirements because I received a major in Anthropology rather than an Honours Specialization in Anthropology. I have been asked to write a rationale form to apply as a non-standard applicant with the following:

-Why I do not meet the minimum admission requirements
-How my professional/personal and academic experience have prepared me to be successful in the program 

I have a pretty direct and logical reason for not receiving an Hons. Spec.: I was 1 credit away from an Honours but the only 4000 level course my school offered in my program was for students intending to pursue a masters degree in Anthropology and I did not want to do that, and decided to pursue electives that would better assist my admittance to a dual JD/MES (i.e. environmental law courses). Similarly, I know what to say re: how my academic experience has prepared me to be successful in the program.

However, I have no idea what to write for 'personal experience.' I don't really understand how personal experiences could make up for the fact that I was 1 credit away from an Honours Specialization and decided against it. The only thing I can think of is that I was the president of a lot of committees and councils in my undergrad while maintaining a 3.7 CPGA, and thus believe I am well prepared for the workload a graduate degree would provide.

Otherwise, I don't really know what else to say and I'm worried the rationale form will come up short.

I spoke to a guy involved at in the MES program not too long ago, and he said admittance to the graduate program might help in getting into the law school itself (i.e. the dual degree is really unique and would look good to the law school as a fringe applicant). I want to make sure the rationale is really good in case that is true -- anything to help my admittance to law. Has anyone had any experience writing a rationale form? What do you think they are they looking for when asking about how "personal experiences" have prepared a student to be successful in a graduate program?