Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this sound like a good plan?

lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
in General 894 karma

So basically, I'm registered to take the June 2018 LSAT and I've been studying for a little over a year now. I'm just now realizing that if I can just go -0 to -3 in LG, It will bring my PT trends to my goal score of 170+ I have been taking 1-3 practice tests a week until I realized this a few days ago.

Since today is Feb 15th, I was thinking, how does It sound if starting today, I only drill logic games until March 11th (3 months away from the June test) then continue with my weekly PTs, targeting problem areas and LR and RC stuff, everything. Or should I be honing in on all three sections –– instead of just LG –– during this PT hiatus?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Sounds like you need an LG intensive to me, and I think that sounds like a reasonable timeline. Definitely stop taking PTs, they’re just going to keep giving you the same information over and over again until you address it. So focus on LG and hit LR and RC lightly just to keep in practice and maintain. I did this several times actually, and I think it was vital to my mastery of Games.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Sounds like you need an LG intensive to me, and I think that sounds like a reasonable timeline. Definitely stop taking PTs, they’re just going to keep giving you the same information over and over again until you address it. So focus on LG and hit LR and RC lightly just to keep in practice and maintain. I did this several times actually, and I think it was vital to my mastery of Games.

Totally agree on the idea that taking PTs is just gonna keep giving me the same information. It kind of took me a long time to realize that -_- now, i know i have to really attack LG head-on and focus just on It. How long at a time did you do this for LG?

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I agree with @"Cant Get Right".

PT's should be taken only when you have addressed your issues. So take your time to fix the weakness you already know you have. Fool proof games for now. After you have done that, then take the PT to reassess and identify new weaknesses.

For LR and RC you can stay in shape by doing a warm up each day with both of them.

27822 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    Totally agree on the idea that taking PTs is just gonna keep giving me the same information. It kind of took me a long time to realize that -_- now, i know i have to really attack LG head-on and focus just on It. How long at a time did you do this for LG?

Don't feel bad, it takes most people a long time to realize that, myself included! As far as my LG intensives, I did two one-month intensives. The first one was after doing lots of PTs and ignoring the issue, lol. It was finally just clear to me that it had to be done. I drilled games by type and then by section until I felt I was where I needed to be. (I wasn't, but I was definitely much better.) The second was actually the final stages of my studying leading up to the Sept 2017 test and I needed to specifically address my procedure which until then I was more or less making up as I went along. For that one, I printed off a stack of games about three inches thick and worked through each one step by step until I almost couldn't approach games any other way. Those were the two big ones. I also took a week here and there from time to time, whatever was appropriate to my needs and timeline.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@"Cant Get Right" how many games per day during your intensive one-months? sorry for all the questions haha. i have 10 clean copies of each game in the core curriculum -- my old apartment lounge had free printing which i took full advantage of. anyways, i drill about 8-12 each per day and file away the ones i feel i've mastered into a folder.

27822 karma

I didn't set a specific number to it. I did it right first and foremost, and that meant I got to however many I got to. On a good day I could clear three sections, so about 12 games. Going into Sept 2017, I probably could clear a lot more. My mechanics were excellent, so not as much work to do per game.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

I had a similar issue and fool-proofed games for about 2 months! It did wonders for my score (from low 160s to high 160s). Even though LG started out as my worst section, I look forward to games now because I feel confident I can get a perfect or near-perfect score on them.

As for LR and RC, I recommend throwing them in when you need a breather from foolproofing LG. Maybe drill an LR question-type that you could use improvement on, or do a low-res/high-res breakdown for a tough RC passage, while keeping LG as your focus.

As a side note, foolproofing has made my LG so solid that LR is now my weakest section and I'm focusing exclusively on drilling LR, haha!