Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

M

1234567812345678 Alum Member
edited October 2021 in Off-topic 23 karma

-L

Comments

• Alec J MAlec J M Alum Member
    5 karma

Hi! I have a similar situation. I do not want to hijack your thread, especially if you would rather speak privately with someone that actually has the relevant experience. But...

I really did not anticipate my physical disability effecting me the way it did on test day, nor have I ever asked for accommodations before (for anything really). So, no history of prior test taking accommodations to lean on.

If someone could provide a hot-take on physical accommodation requests I would be very grateful. (I can pull together medical documents, however I will need time to schedule those appointments. For medical necessity sake, I can certainly get documentation that states I'm supposed to stand up every 20 minutes for circulation related issues.)

At most, I think I would need to be able to stand and pace if necessary. I have a prosthetic leg, with a pretty complex backstory and some resultant pain and phantom weirdness. The test center I was at was a decent size class room, with the chairs attached to the table. The tables were stadium style where each row is higher than the last. Now, I'm ~6"2, which left me either dangling the prosthetic leg off the front edge (prosthetic is held on by suspension, so this is just uncomfortable for hours on end for several reasons) or jamming it in one place under the table (which leads to what I'm going to call cramping for convenience because pain is hard to explain. Suffice to say, it occasionally hurts in a way that feels like it triggers a flight/flight/freeze type response, which completely disrupts whatever else my brain is trying to do at the time).

I'm hesitant though, since I'm fairly sure if the room was less packed I could have moved somewhere where I could sit kind of sideways, or even closer to the front if the floor was even. Unfortunately I did not think about this before the test started, though the proctors seemed to indicate that with more forethought they could have accommodated me on the spot.

Does anyone have thoughts? Worth it?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Alec J M" said:
    Hi! I have a similar situation. I do not want to hijack your thread, especially if you would rather speak privately with someone that actually has the relevant experience. But...

I really did not anticipate my physical disability effecting me the way it did on test day, nor have I ever asked for accommodations before (for anything really). So, no history of prior test taking accommodations to lean on.

If someone could provide a hot-take on physical accommodation requests I would be very grateful. (I can pull together medical documents, however I will need time to schedule those appointments. For medical necessity sake, I can certainly get documentation that states I'm supposed to stand up every 20 minutes for circulation related issues.)

At most, I think I would need to be able to stand and pace if necessary. I have a prosthetic leg, with a pretty complex backstory and some resultant pain and phantom weirdness. The test center I was at was a decent size class room, with the chairs attached to the table. The tables were stadium style where each row is higher than the last. Now, I'm ~6"2, which left me either dangling the prosthetic leg off the front edge (prosthetic is held on by suspension, so this is just uncomfortable for hours on end for several reasons) or jamming it in one place under the table (which leads to what I'm going to call cramping for convenience because pain is hard to explain. Suffice to say, it occasionally hurts in a way that feels like it triggers a flight/flight/freeze type response, which completely disrupts whatever else my brain is trying to do at the time).

I'm hesitant though, since I'm fairly sure if the room was less packed I could have moved somewhere where I could sit kind of sideways, or even closer to the front if the floor was even. Unfortunately I did not think about this before the test started, though the proctors seemed to indicate that with more forethought they could have accommodated me on the spot.

Does anyone have thoughts? Worth it?

There is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't apply for accommodations. You would be given a longer test with more breaks, likely in a separate room, allowing you to take time to and have the room to stand up when needed. There's no reason for you to try to "tough it out" through physical pain to take the LSAT.