Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). (deleted) - 7Sage Forum

(deleted)

kimw2015kimw2015 Member
edited April 2019 in Law School Admissions 81 karma

(deleted)

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3788 karma

Hm what kind of job do you have that requires this? Is it art related? As long as the things you post are appropriate, I don't see whats wrong. But, I don't believe having your own personal website will help that much. Admins usually Google you to look for red flags, not to see any hidden talents or interesting work you did.

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@westcoastbestcoast thank you! And I'm a newspaper reporter. So the hypothetical website would be past articles and writings and such.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@kimw2015 said:
    @westcoastbestcoast thank you! And I'm a newspaper reporter. So the hypothetical website would be past articles and writings and such.

oh nice! is it for the local paper or a big media company like NBC?

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

the link

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

Are you thinking of creating an entire website about your potential for law school? I don't think this would be a particularly useful investment of time. You want to make this process as seamless as possible for the admissions committee. They'll likely Google you and maybe even check on your LinkedIn, but you can't expect them to take time on your personal website. Channel that energy toward your personal statement AND optional essays. I think Why X essays were crucial to my success at schools where many others with similar stats were wait listed. That's where you should focus your efforts. Since you're a writer with content that's already on the web, they'll be able to find your work simply by Googling you. Also, your strong writing will surely shine through in your essays. That's where it really counts. Especially if you haven't taken the LSAT yet…focus on that test! :)

An exception that I can think of would be if you're interested in academia, and your current work relates to your hopeful area of research as a legal scholar. In that case, a website with links to your work and a discussion of your research interests might be helpful. Another exception would be if you ALREADY have a website, and its contents do not cast any doubt on your desire to attend law school (aka you don't want to make it seem as though you're looking for more reporter gigs).

Good luck, and capitalize on your writing abilities as you craft your apps :)

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

So there's actually a lot of evidence out there that law school readers Google applicants. In that case, having a well-designed, professional website may reflect favorably on you.

But creating a website just for law school apps seems a bit much to me. It definitely won't hurt you if you don't have a website.

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    oh nice! is it for the local paper or a big media company like NBC?

It's a big metro newspaper, where I cover politics.

And thanks all for the advice! This is very helpful.