Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well.... I'm back

edited March 2018 in General 224 karma

Hello 7Sagers,

Oh how I have not missed you all! (only because it means LSAT is dominating every aspect of my life) I finally made the plunge and went ahead and purchased the Ultimate Course. I am taking the LSAT July 23rd, and this is my story...

In June of 2016 I paid $1000 for an in-person LSAT course. It was decent. It gave me access to a teacher who was incredibly accessible and his core-cirriculum helped me increase my LSAT score significantly. However, during his classes he went off on irrelevant tangents and personal stories that had no relation to the LSAT - I felt it was a significant waste of time. Additionally, kids from a certain school (BYU - the absolute worst) felt that sucking up to the teacher would somehow help them on their LSAT? Its beyond me. They were also a significant distraction from the course.

Come September 2016, I was able to increase my diagnostic (150) to Averaging 161 on my PTs. After my getting my score back I was simply devastated.... I scored a 153. So I wept, cried, binged, and then decided to buck tf up and get ready for December. Come then, I was averaging 162 and I was beyond thrilled to score a 161!! Seriously, I collapsed and wept tears of joy.

To say I had a rough application cycle is a complete understatement. I have some strong softs. I am former military (Enlisted JAG), worked 2 years as a paralegal at a prominent law firm, multiple publications, blah, blah, blah. I irresponsibly thought my softs would be enough to have schools look past my well below median LSAT score and mediocre GPA (3.6). To make a long story short, I got waitlisted at 7 schools and didnt get off of a single WL. I got into Utah, OSU, UF, UNC with some really geneours scholly offers. But being the prestige whore I am, I was not entirely satisfied.

I ended up reluctantly depositing at OSU but internally was looking for a way out. To fill some time during the summer I picked up an internship with a Congressman and come August I found my way out - I was offered a position as a full-time congressional staffer. I took the job, I love it (seriously I do, it is just fulfilling and engaging work) and I thought I was happy. A year into the job... I realize that I am still a prestige whore and that I still lack the prestige I so desperately crave from a prestigious law school (think T25). So one year and 3 months removed from my last LSAT administration, I knew something had to change. If I wanted a different result I had to do something different. Back during Round 1 of LSAT prep I simply didnt have the money for a $1000 AND $700 7Sage. I, like many of you, tradegically found 7Sage too late. So I lurked on discussion boards and commented here and there and looked for validation of my many irresponsible choices.

Finally here I am. Behold, a prodigal son has returned. And although the thought of LSAT study is excruciating to my mind, body and soul, I know this is what needs to happen. July 23rd will be my final day of reckoning - and I could not be more excited to share this journey with you poor souls.

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

First and foremost. Thank you for service and welcome back to 7Sage. Your softs, although they aren"t weak, aren't necessarily strong. Alot of applicants worked as paralegal . That being said, your greatest bet of increasing admission chances is to maximize your LSAT score. You made the right decision

• 224 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    First and foremost. Thank you for service and welcome back to 7Sage. Your softs, although they aren"t weak, aren't necessarily strong. Alot of applicants worked as paralegal . That being said, your greatest bet of increasing admission chances is to maximize your LSAT score. You made the right decision

Two years later and I am still overestimating my softs - when will I learn?? Good thing I back on the LSAT grind.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Welcome back! You've got this. I'm also a vet - what branch did you serve in?

If you need any help along the way feel free to ask me. I do my best (when I'm not being pulled away by work, or other stuff) to help everyone!

You'll kill it.

• 224 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

If you need any help along the way feel free to ask me. I do my best (when I'm not being pulled away by work, or other stuff) to help everyone!

You'll kill it.

Army and currently Army National Guard. I am glad other vets are repping on 7Sage!!

13286 karma

@onecallthatsall said:

@LSATcantwin said:

You'll kill it.

Army and currently Army National Guard. I am glad other vets are repping on 7Sage!!

Good stuff, Marine Corps for me. There are a few other vets in the mix that pop their heads up once in awhile as well!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I'm glad to be in the company of servicemen and women, both online in 7Sage and offline. My neighbors served in the Navy and I have a couple coworkers who were in the Marines, who I believe were from Camp Pendelton and 29 Palms

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I will say, being a vet is a very good soft though.

Welcome to 7sage! I think you'll be really happy here. It's a fantastic course and an awesome community, full of folks who will be happy to help you if you need anything.

13286 karma

I'm glad to be in the company of servicemen and women, both online in 7Sage and offline. My neighbors served in the Navy and I have a couple coworkers who were in the Marines, who I believe were from Camp Pendelton and 29 Palms

Oh lovely 29 Palms. How I don't miss it there....

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Oh lovely 29 Palms. How I don't miss it there....

Lol, I spent from August 2004, to June 2008 there, the desert grew on me. I miss it.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I hope the adcomms take into account my military soft, I don't know how much they do, but any bit will help.

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

Keep grinding, shoot for the moon and you’ll land in the stars.

My whole family was enlisted. As my dad still says, he worked for a living.

If those T14 schools don’t see you for the gem you are then they’re missing something.

Pressure creates diamonds! Go work for that 180 bro/ mam!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Welcome back son! Navy here myself! Worked with awesome Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps guys - you all kept me and my crew safe when we were in Camp Victory serving for OIF. Keep the faith and hang in there, study hard and stay focused. We are all here for each other to suceed! You will too. Hua!!!