Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking Practice tests before finishing curriculum

rcastillo104rcastillo104 Core Member
in General 9 karma

This is probably a dumb question but Ive been hearing from a lot of people that the best way to improve is just to take practice tests and I understand where those people are coming from but I also think the curriculum is useful and even though I havnt finished it yet (Im17.5% through to be exact) and I already completed my diagnostic, Ive been wondering if I should be taking practice tests in between or if this is a bad Idea but Im not sure. Im curious to hear anyones opinion on it. Should I wait until Ive completed the curriculum to do them or should I do a couple while still taking the curriculum?

Thanks everyone and best of luck studying.

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

dont do it

• TexasMadeTexasMade Member
    29 karma

I would recommend practicing Logic Games and Reading Comp. further down the core curriculum before testing.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3279 karma

I think it depends on what your sectional scores in your PT were. I wish I had started taking PTs earlier. I started out with the goal of taking all the PTs. I managed to take about ten.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Wait till you're done with the CC. Right now your goal should be going through the curriculum and getting a good grasp of the fundamentals.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Different techniques work for different people. However, I tend to fall into the "wait until you have finished the CC" group. Here's why:

I perceive the "you learn most by taking tests" meme to actually mean "you learn more when reviewing your tests, identifying where you are weak, and re-mediating those areas specifically." Now, if you have bought into the 7Sage model of LSAT prep and still decide to take a test prior to completing the CC, what happens when you identify your weaknesses as areas of the CC you haven't gotten to yet? Will you skip ahead and do that area? As someone in my second build to an actual testing date, I'm working my way through the CC for the first time and will not test until I've completed the CC. I skipped the "initial" PT in the CC because I know where I stood prior to the Feb LSAT test date based on 20+ timed PTs.

Either way, good luck.