Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I be taking practice tests during the core curriculum?

FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
in General 139 karma

Hello 7Sage, I was wondering if the better strategy to maximize your score would be to finish the core curriculum (I'm currently on the invalid arguments part) or to start taking practice tests now. Moreover, if I were to start taking practice tests now, how often should I do them? I received a 146 diagnostic score. I'm not in any particular rush since I don't plan to apply until Fall 2021 and I have this entire summer just to focus on studying. Thank you for your help!

Core Vs PTs
  1. What Should I Do?41 votes
    1. Take Practice Tests During Core Curriculum
      14.63%
    2. Finish Core Curriculum Then Take Practice Tests
      85.37%

Comments

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi there!

I would absolutely suggest that you wait until after the CC to take PTs, especially if you arent in a crazy rush to get your application in. I think that it is extremely important to have a solid foundation to build upon before you start to take practice tests. You can't skip on the fundamentals. We only have a very limited number of fresh PTs to work with. Once they are used they are used. While some people have been very successful studying with retakes, it is far from ideal. It is important that you get the most out of every single practice test that you take. If you dont have the fundamentals already solidly in your head there just isnt a way that you will be able to use PTs to their fullest extent.

I think that you will be in the best position if you really take the time to not only do the CC prior to taking your preptests, but to go through the CC in depth. Listen to all the lessons. Do all (or at least the majority) of the problems sets. Memorize all of the things that JY says it is important to memorize such as conditional logic indicator words, all of the valid and invalid argument forms, the rules for what happens when the sufficient condition is triggered/failed, the rules for what happens when the necessary condition is triggered/failed etc. I made flashcards and would go through them once in the morning and once in the evening. I hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions!

• edited May 2020 414 karma

Definitely complete the CC first. Practice tests are there for you to have an estimate of where you are in terms of skills, to test your understanding of the material, and the execution of your knowledge. You must acquire skills and knowledge BEFORE you test them!

I know the temptation is there. But a diagnostic of 146, which is around where I was, means you have a lot of things to learn and that’s amazing because you are only going to get better once you get through the CC.

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    Hi there!

I would absolutely suggest that you wait until after the CC to take PTs, especially if you arent in a crazy rush to get your application in. I think that it is extremely important to have a solid foundation to build upon before you start to take practice tests. You can't skip on the fundamentals. We only have a very limited number of fresh PTs to work with. Once they are used they are used. While some people have been very successful studying with retakes, it is far from ideal. It is important that you get the most out of every single practice test that you take. If you dont have the fundamentals already solidly in your head there just isnt a way that you will be able to use PTs to their fullest extent.

I think that you will be in the best position if you really take the time to not only do the CC prior to taking your preptests, but to go through the CC in depth. Listen to all the lessons. Do all (or at least the majority) of the problems sets. Memorize all of the things that JY says it is important to memorize such as conditional logic indicator words, all of the valid and invalid argument forms, the rules for what happens when the sufficient condition is triggered/failed, the rules for what happens when the necessary condition is triggered/failed etc. I made flashcards and would go through them once in the morning and once in the evening. I hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions!

Thank you for your reply!

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

@"caffeine powered human" said:
    Definitely complete the CC first. Practice tests are there for you to have an estimate of where you are in terms of skills, to test your understanding of the material, and the execution of your knowledge. You must acquire skills and knowledge BEFORE you test them!

I know the temptation is there. But a diagnostic of 146, which is around where I was, means you have a lot of things to learn and that’s amazing because you are only going to get better once you get through the CC.

Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, have you seen significant improvement in your score since your diagnostic? And if so, did this come primarily after you finished the CC or after taking a bunch of PTs?

• 414 karma

So I didn’t take a proper diagnostic, but high 140 is what I assume what my diagnostic would have been. Before committing to 7Sage, I actually read through the power score bibles and sat for an actual LSAT (BAD MISTAKE) and got a middle/high 150. After almost 7-8 months of not studying for the LSAT, I purchased the 7Sage and did the CC.

My PT score right after the CC was 162. Since then, I spent months and months on just PTing, BRing, and drilling my weaknesses. My scores fluctuated here and there; I scored high 150s a few times. But slow and steady my PT score has been improving, and I currently average around high 160 with a couple 170+.

Unless you are a genius who has fully absorbed the entire CC material by the end of your curriculum, I don’t think it’s fair to assume that your PT score will dramatically jump upon CC completion. CC is for you to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of the LSAT, and you usually make those concepts as your second nature during the PT process. So I can’t say whether my score improve primarily came after CC or after taking a bunch of PTs! I don’t see them as two entirely different processes.