Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditional Rules Trigger and Become Irrelevant

zara.j20zara.j20 Member
edited October 2014 in Logic Games 30 karma
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could give me a quick summary of when conditional rules trigger and when they become irrelevant in logic games...it still takes me a while to fully grasp the idea.

Comments

• joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited October 2014 802 karma
    Hi Zara,

Here ya go, in JY's own words: http://7sage.com/lesson/conditional-rules-trigger-v-irrelevant/

Also, something one of th4 other 7Sager's pointed me to early on: if you do a CTRL-F (aka Find) on the Course page, you can usually search for a keyword and find what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

If you've already seen JY's video and wanted it in somewhat different words:
    If the sufficient is satisfied, the rule triggers the necessary.
    If the opposite (logical negation) of the necessary is satisfied, then the opposite (logical negation) of the sufficient is triggered.
    If the sufficient is not satisfied, the rule is irrelevant (still check the necessary though, just in case).
    If the necessary is satisfied, the rule is irrelevant.

There are several drills for this in the lessons, so make sure you o them when you get there. They will help big time.

Good luck.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I have done the lesson plan & am going through the questions and I STILL find this hard to grasp. I mean, when I logically sit and think about it... yeah. it makes sense, but when I'm in an 8 minute time crunch on a logic game and I get a conditional relationship, sometimes I forget, and I try and put items in slots in incorrect ways.

For the next game, I have to try hard and remember this.

Sufficient. If you satisfy it, it leads to the necessary.
    If you don't satisfy is.... then the relationship is irrelevant.

Example)
    If Sally is a dog, then she is cute.
    SD --> Cute

If you get a statement like... Sally is a cat. Which is not satisfying that statement, then it is irrelevant if Sally is cute or not. Sally can be cute, but she can also be ugly. Or neither. She can be a combination of both. It doesn't matter.

Necessary. If you go against the necessary, then it's the contrapositive. If you satisfy the necessary, then the relationship is irrelevant.

Example)
    If Sally is a dog, then she is cute.
    SD --> Cute

If you get a statement like...... Sally is not cute, then that's the contrapositive. Not cute, then Sally is not a dog.
    /Cute --> /SD

If the necessary is satisfied: Sally is cute, then it's irrelevant that Sally is a dog. At that point, Sally could be anything. Sally being cute does not mean that Sally is a dog because being cute is not sufficient to know that Sally is a dog.

I hope that helps. :/
  • zara.j20zara.j20 Member
    30 karma
    Thanks everyone this was all super helpful!!!!!! You guys are the best!