Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study to Retake vs Patent Bar

LitJimmyLitJimmy Member
in General 7 karma

I just took the LSAT in Feb for the 1st time and started studying in Late December. I scored a 153, not what I was looking for from my PTs but still in the 25-75 range of the schools I am looking to attend. I am a non-traditional candidate 39, family of 5, with BS and PhDs in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering from top 25 schools. I am just debating on continuing to study for the June or July LSAT or prepping for the patent bar. If I can get into to schools with my numbers now I would rather focus my time on the patent bar. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get application responses back? I would do both but with a family and a full time job my time is limited so I’ll need to pick a path. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Are you trying to start law school in the upcoming fall semester? Are you looking at full time or part time programs? Is receiving a scholarship an important factor? What schools are you looking at?

Your LSAT score is low and it's late in the application process. My mentor got into a T14 score with a score in the 140s. He had a ton of publications and patents though. And he didn't wait until the end of the application cycle to apply.I'm not sure if you'll get into great schools, but it can't hurt applying.

Are you sure that you want to do prosecution? If you end up in litigation, you don't need to have passed the patent bar.

I don't have kids or many of the other responsibilities that you have. For that reason, I can't make a recommendation on which test you should be studying for

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited March 2018 5254 karma

I think both; I'd vote for doing one (probably raising your LSAT) then doing the other one a year or two later. If you're comfortable saying, what range is your GPA in? Did the LSAC calculate yet? And what schools interest you?

3279 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    I think both; I'd vote for doing one (probably raising your LSAT) then doing the other one a year or two later.

If you know you want to do patent prosecution, it's generally advised to take the patent bar before you start law school.

5254 karma

@10000019, Interesting. Thanks for mentioning this. How would someone find the time to study for both exams if they wanted or needed to get them both in before law school? I know some people who did it after getting JDs.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I would take more time to prep for the exam, maybe expand it over 6 months. You have an unique, non traditional background which should serve you well in admissions time. If you pair that with a high 160s or 170 plus score, you can gain acceptances to the top schools.

3279 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @10000019, Interesting. Thanks for mentioning this. How would someone find the time to study for both exams if they wanted or needed to get them both in before law school? I know some people who did it after getting JDs.

It's not a killer if you don't get it in before. I think it's just stressful to have to do it while you're in law school or while you're studying for the BAR.

If you get your applicants in at a normal time, you have plenty of time to study for the patent bar. I sent in my apps in January, and I'll start studying for the patent bar in April.

5254 karma

That explains it. Thanks.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

I actually put my lsat studies on the back burner right now while i study for the patent bar. But im not applying to law school until fall 2019. I can definitley say, as someone with a family and full time job as well, the patent bar is a full time commitment. What lsat studies i do accomplish are fool proofing logic games on lunch. If you have any questions on the patent bar feel free to PM me!

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@Eric25 said:
    I actually put my lsat studies on the back burner right now while i study for the patent bar. But im not applying to law school until fall 2019. I can definitley say, as someone with a family and full time job as well, the patent bar is a full time commitment. What lsat studies i do accomplish are fool proofing logic games on lunch. If you have any questions on the patent bar feel free to PM me!

I think starting with the fool proofing of logic games when you have the time/extra energy is a wise decision. It is something that isn't too incredibly intensive and can often times be fun too.