Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with studying advice as I am not seeing improvement

jaygaleonejaygaleone Live Member
in General 82 karma

Dear All,

So I've been studying on and off for the past two years and took the February 2018 and did way below than what I expected. I applied and submitted my applications to some of my local law schools but am certain that with the score received I will not be admitted. To summarize, I am not sure whether my approach to studying this test is effective or if it's just a test that I am not able to master?

I work a very demanding job in a big law firm and it's a struggle trying to manage the tasks given to me in addition to studying for this test. I am still contemplating what to do and should I take another crack at this test, I think I will be either shooting for the July or September 2018 test. Any advice as to how to overcome this defeated mindset and suggestions as to how to improve on this test. My goal is to get into the 160s and I am awful at logic games, which people say is the easiest to learn and can't seem to do them under time conditions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2018 23929 karma

Same issue my man. Working a ton of long days and nights, especially at the drop of a hat, can make prepping for this test hard.

Without knowing more details about how you have studied in the past and your score breakdown, I would just suggest doing an hour a day. Yup. That's it. If you feel like you can do more, great. If not, feel good about getting that hour in and don't feel guilty. I've stopped studying for stretches of 4-6 months because I couldn't do 4+ hours. I would feel like only doing 1-2 hours was a waste since everyone seemed to be studying way more than that. I regret that now because I've made more progress only doing 1-2 hours a day than I ever did doing way more. Quality prep > quantity every time. Get that hour in each day and I truly believe that's enough to see major progress over time.

I mostly would suggest doing a timed section each morning/night, and reviewing it right after. I also purchased Nathan Fox's LR Encyclopedia (which I highly recommend) to work through questions while on my downtime at work/during commutes. It's nice because you get single LR questions with the explanations right after. This allows me to do maybe 5-7 questions each day at work. Trust me, every little bit adds up.

If LG is a place where you are missing a ton of questions, I think the most important thing is just repetition. Do a game. Watch J.Y.'s amazing LG videos. Re-do the game. And keep re-doing it until you get it. Then come back to it after some time has passed, and make sure you can do it again.

I don't believe that anyone can achieve a 170+ score. But I do believe with a solid mastery of the basics and diligent practice, anyone can achieve a 160. So just know that your goal is very possible and I bet you can easily get there by June. You've probably been studying all wrong and if you figure out how to study "right", improvement will come and you'll be motivated to keep going.

Begin with the end in mind and remember what this is all for: law school.

I'll be rooting for you :sunglasses:

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

I've been studying for a little over a year and was struggling tremendously on logic games. Honestly, I didn't see true improvement until I dedicated nearly an entire month and a half to drilling and foolproofing the LG bundle. This was at least a 4hr ordeal, 6 days a week, sleep deprived or hungover. I was pissed, but it eventually paid off. I was just so sick and tired of fucking up the LG section. As @Alex mentioned, it would be helpful to get more specifics about your situation. Have you foolproofed the entire LG bundle?