Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Study Schedule That Has Worked for You

Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
in General 350 karma

Hello 7sage

I'm writing to try and get a better study schedule going. I'm in post core-curriculum now and I tried setting up a schedule were I'd do a PT every fourth day, but that didnt work because I found myself taking up a lot more time to study my weaknesses. Also I'm currently trying to foolproof the LG's from 1-35 and am having trouble trying to figure out how many times a week I should be doing that versus taking PT's versus studying my weaknesses. Essentially, juggling everything has turned out to be a day by day thing where I have a vague idea of what I'll be working on that day.

A little background. I am currently in grad school, but I actually have a lot of time on my hands. I am only taking two classes on Mondays, so the rest of the week, is pretty much for studying. I'm also currently not working so that helps. I am taking the November LSAT, so I have a little less than 8 months to study. I have been studying since December. So far, I've been averaging 8-5 wrong on LR, 11-5 wrong on RC, and LG, like I said I've just been foolproofing.

I've found that I can study for 5 days a week before mentally burning out. I realize that when I try to study and it feels almost impossible to focus. This is one of those days where I'm feeling mentally blocked so that's why I wanted to reach out to you guys.

So, basically, I'm just trying to find an efficient study schedule I can stick to because I have the time and dedication, I just need to be more organized. Any advise from the kinds of study schedules that has helped you guys, or what you guys recommend would be great.

You guys are awesome,
L

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

Do the LG fool proofing first. Do ~3 LG sections a day. Drill some LR sections as well. In a month or so when you're done with LG 1-35, take a full PT and then BR and then drill for weaknesses. Once you've resolved your weaknesses, take another PT. Rinse and repeat.
    Doing 2 PTs a week isnt a good idea at any point in your studies. What you're doing right now sounds really overwhelming and counterproductive.

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    Do the LG fool proofing first. Do ~3 LG sections a day. Drill some LR sections as well. In a month or so when you're done with LG 1-35, take a full PT and then BR and then drill for weaknesses. Once you've resolved your weaknesses, take another PT. Rinse and repeat.
    Doing 2 PTs a week isnt a good idea at any point in your studies. What you're doing right now sounds really overwhelming and counterproductive.

Won't I start falling behind in LR and RC if I do that? My RC is pretty weak right now and varies a lot. So, should I drill LR and RC but you're saying to mostly focus on foolproofing?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

@Redentore3337 said:

@"surfy surf" said:

Won't I start falling behind in LR and RC if I do that? My RC is pretty weak right now and varies a lot. So, should I drill LR and RC but you're saying to mostly focus on foolproofing?

If you want to learn everything all at once then do a few sections of LG and a few sections of the others.
    If you were reading a text book you would go through it one chapter after the next, take notes, and occasionally refer back to the chapters as you go along. You wouldnt read every chapter at once, but if you're adamant on doing so then do it.
    My point was just that you shouldnt be taking 2 prep tests a week. It would be best to try to master at least one section instead of being mediocre at all of them by doing all of them at once and not really retaining anything. LG is the easiest to master. I would rather get 100% on LG and move on to master the next section rather than get like 75% on every section.
    There isnt really a lot of memorization involved in the LSAT so i'm not really sure how you can "forget" how to do the other sections. Each section has one or two techniques for how to get through it, just refer back to your notes if you forget them.
    If you think you're studying the right way and it's working for you then you wouldnt be asking this Q.
    If RC is your weakest section then try to master RC. Not really sure what your exact Q is at this point. If you know your weaknesses then try to resolve them. 2 PTs a week wont help anything.

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

I liked tackling lg first with the lower numbered pts. You might want to then drill specific lr types before moving to full tests or just hop right in (not the biggest believer in spending a ton of time outside full pts on other sections besides lg). Think high quality br is of a higher priority than indv sections. In short, it’s all going to be a balancing act of the time you have left to study and your strengths and weaknesses. imo getting in a lot of tests to develop high level test taking strategy and be able to execute it consistently and rigorous br are the most important elements besides foolproofing lg.

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@swamlepow said:
    I liked tackling lg first with the lower numbered pts. You might want to then drill specific lr types before moving to full tests or just hop right in (not the biggest believer in spending a ton of time outside full pts on other sections besides lg). Think high quality br is of a higher priority than indv sections. In short, it’s all going to be a balancing act of the time you have left to study and your strengths and weaknesses. imo getting in a lot of tests to develop high level test taking strategy and be able to execute it consistently and rigorous br are the most important elements besides foolproofing lg.

That's actually what I'm doing now and I've found its much better than putting myself on a 2 or 1 PT a week schedule. Right now, I'm trying a 3-5 day LG schedule, following by LR, then RC. It doesn't have to be that strict but doing them one at a time has worked out better. Although taking PT's does help to raise your stamina.

For some reason, I don't take BR as rigoursly. Especially with RC, I have a confidence issue or honestly I get too lazy having to read the passage again and tacke the questions. With LR, I'm better at BR'ing, but I found that when I get it wrong, most times, I get it wrong the second times around too which points at a fundemental misunderstanding with the question type.

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

I see. Might not just be error with question type but something more fundamental like breaking apart an argument, etc. Idk.