Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headspace and the LSAT

vrendonvasquezvrendonvasquez Alum Member
in General 276 karma

For those of you who have tried Headspace and subscribed to the premium version, is it worth it? Also, has it helped you with relieving stress and enhancing focus/concentration? Has it influenced your LSAT studies in any way?

If you don't use Headspace to relax, what other strategies or hobbies do you use to de-stress?

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I do, but I didn’t use it for the LSAT—just generally in life. I suppose, though, that it could be especially helpful in the final three weeks of studying.

And it does, but more than that, it helps with taking a different attitude towards otherwise stressful events and being curious about the phenomenology of those feelings. With practice this curiosity can be helpful in general, even after the LSAT.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited March 2018 10795 karma

I know this isn't helpful -I have Headspace, but I am terrible about using it. I do intend to get back into it. So hopefully, you and I could both discover this together.

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    edited March 2018 350 karma

I use Headspace (premium) regularly and I really like it. I had been meditating prior to the LSAT studying but not consistently. I meditate daily now, just 15 minutes or so and sometimes again in the evening if I am having trouble sleeping. I find Headspace has a lot of options, you can meditate with a lot of guidance or a lot of silence, depending on what you feel like. I also just tried the Calm app but I don't like it as much. I think with meditation, it can be a lot about "fit" and whether you just simply like the person's voice or not! :)

Meditating has most definitely helped me with test-taking in that it allows you to more readily not identify with your thoughts, to "see" your thoughts, for lack of a better word. I have tremendous text anxiety, even when just taking PT's in my home office and it has helped a lot with that.

My other de-stress techniques are getting myself out for a hike with my pups and just exercise in general. Another decent meditation app is Insight Timer. I just use the free version and mainly without a guided mediation, just for the timer and some bells at different intervals, though they have some great guided meditations too.
    Best of luck --

• sberg2014sberg2014 Alum Member
    63 karma

I absolutely love Headspace. I used to use it every day , but I stopped using it just because life became so busy. It's my goal to get back into it. I feel like the meditation really helps me when I study or take PTs.