Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing help with LR

ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member

So I'm going -2 to -6 per section on LR.

I am missing a wide range of questions it's not just a specific question type. Does anyone have some advice or what has helped them for prepping?

I'm using all the time allotted.
BR'ing to -1 or -2.

What have you guys done to get LR down to -0?

Comments

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

In terms of just general advice, you have to skip questions. If I'm just not getting a question after a minute, I'll just choose one of the two answer choices I'm likely down to and move on. Sometimes, I'll circle a question if I choose answer "A" and move on without looking at the other choices. So, hopefully around minute mark 25 I'm done with the section. This gives me around ten minutes to go over usually 2-8 questions (I don't think I've ever finished a first run through of a section with zero circles). Now, most of those questions are questions I just need to double check while one or two of those questions will be ones I feel I'm actually misunderstanding or comprehending. Those one or two will be the first ones I look at and spend most of my extra time working on. Doing it this way, I'm able to spend a couple minutes each on the curve breaker questions and then use the remaining time to double check the other questions by eliminating all of the wrong answer choices I skipped over or just seeing a question a second time can eliminate whatever confusion that initially made me circle it. It doesn't always work out because LSAT writers are masters of constructing time traps, but very often i'm able to go through all my circled questions and gain 100% confidence on them.

To paraphrase, skip questions. Set a goal of a minute per question and stick to it.

• janelleengjanelleeng Alum Member
    154 karma

My advice is really to do as many questions as possible and really understand why each answer choice is right/wrong. You will see the patterns and tricks that the LSAT writers use all the time. You will notice which words in certain answer choices make the answer choice wrong. As for logical reasoning questions that use conditional logic, you will see that the lsat writers always use mistaken reversals and negations as trap answer choices. I've been watching all of JY's logical reasoning explanations and have significantly improved because I started to see how repetitive trap answer choices are. Of course there's always going to be some questions that don't necessarily follow a cookie cutter pattern, but the writers can't change the patterns too much. So, it's good to familiarize yourself with the patterns and molds that they've been using for years.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. Especially on skipping. That's something I'm guilty of all the time too and it affects how many I get wrong/right. After spending too long on a question, I begin to panic going forward which affects my confidence and reflects in my LR score for that PT.

Keep repeatedly doing as many questions as possible. But before that, spend a lot of time with the questions you got wrong in the last PT. This is where the magic happens I think. Really drill into your mind why each wrong answer choice is wrong and why each one is right. Also watch the explanation videos on even the LR questions you get right. It will further cement your understanding and recognition of other types/traps. It'll also make you even more confident than you already are. Print out LR questions and drill them.

Also try to go back to an old section you've done before, but a clean one. Except this time, go through it and answer everything as fast as possible. Be reckless! I got this tip from another 7sager and it has helped me as well. It will help you assess your confidence and count how many you got wrong and BR like usual.

Also, have you tried meditating? Haha. It has really helped me. I'm a super nervous person and even meditating for five minutes before a test helps me tremendously.