Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I pick Hastings?

legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 54 karma

Should I go to Hastings for basically full price or do Santa Clara for a half tuition scholarship. (also riding out the UC Davis waitlist)

???
  1. Which one?24 votes
    1. Hastings
      54.17%
    2. Santa Clara
      45.83%

Comments

  • lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Alum Member
    edited April 2018 5244 karma

    Is the scholarship conditional? If so, what are the conditions? Here's hoping for a UC-Davis acceptance soon.

  • legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
    54 karma

    @lsatplaylist said:
    Is the scholarship conditional? If so, what are the conditions? Here's hoping for a UC-Davis acceptance soon.

    Have to maintain a 3.0 GPA at the end of each year to keep the scholarship. I feel like I could do this though (have at or above the 75% LSAT and GPA at SC)

  • FixedDiceFixedDice Legacy Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

    @jenmar18 said:
    Have to maintain a 3.0 GPA at the end of each year to keep the scholarship. I feel like I could do this though (have at or above the 75% LSAT and GPA at SC)

    Is Santa Clara one of those law schools that place all of their scholarship students into designated sections? I can't recall what the term is called, but I heard that's a quite common policy among certain schools (particularly lower-ranked ones).

    If it is, Hastings might be the better choice.

  • legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
    54 karma

    @FixedDice said:

    @jenmar18 said:
    Have to maintain a 3.0 GPA at the end of each year to keep the scholarship. I feel like I could do this though (have at or above the 75% LSAT and GPA at SC)

    Is Santa Clara one of those law schools that place all of their scholarship students into designated sections? I can't recall what the term is called, but I heard that's a quite common policy among certain schools (particularly lower-ranked ones).

    If it is, Hastings might be the better choice.

    They aren't! I asked one of the admissions officers and they said they create sections based on a randomized generator that mixes students based on LSAT/GPA scores so each section has high and low students.

  • lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Alum Member
    5244 karma

    @FixedDice, Yes, I've read about this happening at some law schools as well. I don't know which ones but it's been talked about. Hastings is generally considered "better" from what I've heard, but I know there's many factors to look at.

  • FixedDiceFixedDice Legacy Member
    1804 karma

    @jenmar18 said:
    They aren't! I asked one of the admissions officers and they said they create sections based on a randomized generator that mixes students based on LSAT/GPA scores so each section has high and low students.

    Wouldn't hurt to glance over the scholarship stipulations before you make your final decision, if you can get your hands on them.

  • lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Alum Member
    5244 karma

    Agreeing with @FixedDice, and I'd make a list of questions to ask Admissions about scholarships. I'd also want data on how the 1L classes in the past 2 years have done.

  • _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

    Have you visited Hastings? If you can bear being there and the 33% employment rate then do whatever you want

  • lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    edited April 2018 938 karma

    Consider the below:

    Santa Clara has higher bar passage rates. Santa Clara at 79% (matching Davis) and Hastings at an embarrassing 61%.

    Some firms might care about the school rankings. Which is Hastings at like 50? and Santa Clara in the 100's.

    Santa Clara has a new facilities, which will be available starting Fall 2018 (I believe).

    I know many brilliant Attorneys who attended Santa Clara, I'm sure there are many great Attorneys who went to Hastings as well.

    Question: I'm wondering how you got a full ride to Hastings and not to Santa Clara? Isn't Hastings higher ranked?

    JK just reread your OP. Go to Santa Clara.

  • ramster1ramster1 Legacy Member
    edited April 2018 109 karma

    Nothing

  • ramster1ramster1 Legacy Member
    edited May 2018 109 karma

    .

  • 439 karma

    @jenmar18 said:
    Should I go to Hastings for basically full price or do Santa Clara for a half tuition scholarship. (also riding out the UC Davis waitlist)

    Santa Clara is one of the best schools in the country for intellectual property, right? Plus there's a lot of hippies in Berkeley.

Sign In or Register to comment.