Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Degree Question

Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
in General 553 karma

Several of the law schools I'm looking at offer some intriguing dual-degree options (I'm most inclined toward an MA/JD) so I was wondering whether anyone is planning on taking this route as well or know of someone who has. The biggest advantage, at least on paper, is that it would take less time and given that the degree track is split up it seems like it would still be manageable.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

An MA in which subject?

• slothmankingslothmanking Alum Member
    73 karma

Personally, I think the MA sounds very intriguing. However, I’ve put a lot of thought into it and I’ll definitely be doing the JD/MBA. As a non-traditional student with a government/military background, I really feel like the duel degree will help me develop my skills and be better prepaired for joining the private sector.
    I had looking into doing the JD/MA though and if the MA is something you’re truly interested in this could be the perfect opportunity to make it happen.

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    553 karma

@lsatplaylist Most likely politics or history

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@"forest.dearing.2017" said:
    @lsatplaylist Most likely politics or history

If you are looking into politics because you want to pursue a political career (vs academia), I would highly suggest also looking into MPP/MPA programs. Princeton has an MPA program that is full paid + stipend (I think ~20K a year). It is a shoe in for doing government work and they offer an MPA/JD.

Only thing about MPP/MPA programs is that they will want you to have 2-3+ years of work experience, similar to an MBA.

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

@storm

Princeton offers a JD?

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@swamlepow said:
    @storm

Princeton offers a JD?

Nope - but they do offer their MPA in partnership with JDs from (mostly t20/t14) law schools. http://wws.princeton.edu/graduate-academics/programs/joint-mpajd.

5254 karma

To add to this, the Kennedy School of Government may be another one to consider.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    To add to this, the Kennedy School of Government may be another one to consider.

100% but Princeton offers full paid + 20K to anyone accepted who isn't coming in with a full paid external fellowship. So it is definitely a top option if you're trying to save $$$

5254 karma

@storm, That's pretty awesome. I also wonder about Columbia's programs but I like the Princeton idea a great deal.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

YESSS I'm hoping for JD/ MA in security studies for Georgetown! Will be applying in October :)