Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I Re-Use Application if I Postpone a Year?

I applied pretty late in this year's cycle - end of March for Vanderbilt and WUSTL, beginning of May for University of Georgia, and I was planning to apply for UT Knoxville a bit later. I was waiting to get my 170 on the LSAT, which I finally did in February, and then for letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc. Anyway, that's all my own fault I know. :)

I got waitlisted at WUSTL, which was a bummer but not devastating. Last night, though, I found out I was waitlisted at University of GA, which I was not expecting, given that my LSAT is 8 points above their median. It's made me worried that I just simply waited too long and there are no spots left for me.

I'm okay with waiting another year if I have to (I'm already in my early 30s, so I have a full-time job and won't be scrambling for something to fill that year), and the thought of trying the LSAT a bit more and maybe improving is really tempting. I'm just not sure what the rules are for the materials I submitted in my application. Do I need to re-write all my essays and get new letters of recommendation? Can I re-use anything? I'd love to re-use the essays since I bought 7Sage consulting for them, but not if it is a faux pas!

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

Although not usually required, it's best to rewrite everything subjective on your application (essays, resume, etc). If you reapply to any school that you were previously accepted to, it might be prudent to write a "Why am I reapplying?" essay.

It's ok to reuse LOR, but if it can sometimes be better to have them updated for dates and things. Email your LOR writers if you want them to do this. If you can get one new good LOR to add, do that. Nevertheless, reusing all LOR from the previous year is better than adding a just OK sounding new letter.

Since the apps are common apps, all the objective things (name, academic information) should carryover on the application from last year.