Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Starter course enough to get a 160+ in 3 months?

edited May 2018 in General 413 karma

If I start the Starter course now, is it enough for the September LSAT for me to get an score of 160+?

Admin note: changed title for clarity

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

You won't like my answer but it's the correct one;

• It Depends.

It depends on your starting point, how much time you have to study, how well you take in the new information, etc. etc. etc.

There is no way we can predict where you will be. Some people can move from 150-160 in 3 months. Some people need a year for the same amount improvement. Life circumstances are different for everyone and everyone's situation is much different.

I'm not saying this to be discouraging, but to drive at the truth of what you are going to go up against in your studies. The LSAT is not some fact base test you can cram for. It's a test that requires you to retrain your mind and to get decidedly good at the subtleties and tricks the test throw into your path.

So I'd say the starter course is a good place to start. I'd say you are making the right step in the direction you want to go. I don't think anyone here can guarantee your improvement though, just way to many factors.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

What is your diagnostic score? Also, 160+ is a range of 160-180. Are you aiming more towards the lower end of 160 or the 170s? Depending on the difference between diagnostic and goal score, the strategies you use are different. It also depends on which sections of LSAT you are weakest on. For most people, the LSAT is a test that requires you to change the way you think. So we honestly cannot help predict unless we know more about your situation. But even if we know all the details, it may be hard to predict.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@LSATcantwin and @keets993 summed it up perfectly, so all I can say is this: 7Sage offers no shortcuts or silver bullets!

Getting the Starter package is not a sufficient condition for doing well on the LSAT, nor is it a necessary condition.

• 413 karma

@keets993 @LSATcantwin my diagnostic is 150 I think my weakest section is LG and I am aiming towards 165. SO this is my situation. I have all the preptests so after i finish studying I can do them. But I'll be honest here im really torn between the Powerscore Bibles or 7sage. If i take the Starter pack is there enough info in that course for 3 months for me to get that score or should I stick with the Bibles and try it out for the September test and then if things don't work out I sign up for the Ultimate course for example? I can really use your help guys.....

• MicolashMicolash Member
    218 karma

Hey! So I was (am) in your situation. My diagnostic was also around the mid-150s. What I would consider when deciding which prep works for you is how you personally study. I own a few prep books myself and I've found it difficult to stay concentrated probably because I'm still coming off undergrad text reading. On the other hand, the videos in the Core Curriculum for 7Sage really held my attention. I would say give the 7Sage trial a shot. If it isn't for you, then I can certainly recommend some prep books. If anything, I also hear that 7Sage's LG videos are free on YouTube and they're an excellent source for improving.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@levonm7 So I personally had a diagnostic of 144. I used the trainer and went up by 10 points ish. After that, I tried the power score bible and it didn't make a difference. For me, those two methods weren't able address the fundamental. There was still so much I didn't know and I couldn't even pinpoint what I didn't know. Furthermore, I hated the idea that 3 months was some magic number to learning the lsat because my 3 months were up and I was still confused and lost. There was also this idea that most people can only increase by 10 points past their diagnostic. I had started in June and had somehow thought I'd be ready by September because everyone shares the story of the few people who actually need that little amount of time to get in the 160s. I wish I had just started with 7sage instead of using the other methods.

I love 7sage because one of the intro lessons says that 3 months isn't enough. For most people it will probably take at least 6 months to a year to study and that's fine. The test is worth that much effort.

There's a lot and I mean a LOT of information covered in the 7sage curriculum. I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, definetly shoot for September if you think it's possible, but you seem prepared that it might take longer? No one can predict how fast you'll pick up the material.

The difference between starter and ultimate is just in the access your provided. As in, how many video explanations and previous tests. The actual stuff you learn in the curriculum doesn't change. You will have access to more problem sets but you can also create your own problem sets by using the question bank. There's definitely enough material in the course to keep you busy for months regardless of which pack you get. Again, I'm not saying that it will guarantee you a 165 because the test requires a lot of work. It's like @akistotle said, it's neither sufficient nor necessary but it does provide you with the right tools.

Let me know if you have other questions! Best of luck :smile:

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Everything has pretty well been covered above, but I only have the starter pack and can tell you it was enough for me. I never did a legit diagnostic, but it likely would have been in the low 150's. I did all three Bibles cover to cover, after two LR sections decided I still lacked the fundamentals to perform well, and immediately started 7sage. With just the starter pack (I also own all of the LSAC hard copies of tests) my scores are now in the mid-high 170's. It took a lot longer than 3 months though.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2531 karma

3 months is pretty uninformative. It doesn't matter if you have 3 months or a year. What matters is the amount that you can study each day. If you work, go to school, or have any other time consuming obligations, a 10 point improvement is going to be a challenge in 3 months unless you dedicate several hours (after work/school) every single day to studying.

If you are studying full time for the test then 150-160 in 3 months shouldn't be a problem.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@levonm7 said:
    @keets993 @LSATcantwin my diagnostic is 150 I think my weakest section is LG and I am aiming towards 165. SO this is my situation. I have all the preptests so after i finish studying I can do them. But I'll be honest here im really torn between the Powerscore Bibles or 7sage. If i take the Starter pack is there enough info in that course for 3 months for me to get that score or should I stick with the Bibles and try it out for the September test and then if things don't work out I sign up for the Ultimate course for example? I can really use your help guys.....

I think the core curriculum is basically the equivalent of all the powerscore books. It's different since they are video explanations rather than in a book and the methods are somewhat different. However both teach you systematic ways to solve every LSAT question ever created. Additionally, neither are sufficient to make much improvement alone because you can only learn these systems through many many hours of practice on real LSAT questions. The starter course includes problem sets and access to ten(if I remember right) LSAT tests with complete explanations which is a start on this practice. The more expensive packages offer more tests with explanations and more problem sets.

I found that the logic games method of 7sage was far superior to Powerscore's and that the free explanations using 7 sages techniques to all the logic games ever created made 7 sage much better for me. Try out the free explanations of the games you had on your diagnostic.

https://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/
    https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

• edited May 2018 413 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" @Ohnoeshalpme @btate87 @keets993 @Micolash @LSATcantwin So guys final question, I can study FULL TIME until September and as I said I have all the preptest (PT 7 to the latest) do you guys think I should go for the Starter pack ? Or should I go with my BIBLES?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@levonm7 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" @Ohnoeshalpme @btate87 @keets993 @Micolash @LSATcantwin So guys final question, I can study FULL TIME until September and as I said I have all the preptest (PT 7 to the latest) do you guys think I should go for the Starter pack ?

Yes, get the starter pack and get started ASAP. If you can study full time for 3 months you can likely make a big score jump with 7sage material.

• MicolashMicolash Member
    edited May 2018 218 karma

I don’t see why not. You’ll be spending around the same amount of money for three books and they will all be teaching you how to tackle the three sections of the LSAT. Like I mentioned earlier, feel free to give the trial a shot first and then upgrade as you see fit. But for many of us here, we found 7Sage to be extremely beneficial to our studies. You are asking if 7Sage is worth it in a 7Sage forum after all. :P And I would absolutely say yes.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Yes. Get through the CC and fool proof LG. I don't think you'll find a quality breakdown of fundamentals like 7sage CC anywhere else for such a low price.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@levonm7 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" @Ohnoeshalpme @btate87 @keets993 @Micolash @LSATcantwin So guys final question, I can study FULL TIME until September and as I said I have all the preptest (PT 7 to the latest) do you guys think I should go for the Starter pack ? Or should I go with my BIBLES?

Yes you'll only have the starter course for 3 months, but could easilly PT with blind review or continue foolproofing more logic games until September after that. That is basically what I did for my retake starting around this time last year.

If you felt like you needed mire time with the material you could always upgrade then too and get more problem sets and time.