Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bundle

in Logic Games 381 karma

Hey guys. So I recently got to the Logic Games section of the CC and needless to say its rough. So I have been doing the Problem Sets, which is only a few but I know I need more work and a ton more Fool Proofing to do. I understand the LG Bundle is only available via the Ultimate + and I wanted to get some peoples opinions on how much that has helped them etc. I'd like to be able to get done with the CC before I start Fool Proofing because of the concepts being so new to me right now and I don't have a grasp on the different kinds of games right now so I'd be watching JY's videos and then fool proofing for most of them and I feel like I wont learn that way. If anyone has any opinion on this matter please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It's a good idea to have it, IMO. Though you could also buy the books to access 1-35.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Foolproofing can really be done with any games. It's nice to have 1-35 so you can save the other games for full PTs. I did most of my studying while I only had the Starter course, and foolproofed using various tests in the 50s and 60s. But it might depend on how much you think you need to work on it, and how many tests you can reserve for taking PTs.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

You can apply the foolproof method to the problem sets, which is what I've been doing. By foolproofing the games that are covered in the CC (screen shots work) I'm able to get a better handle on a game before moving on. This is all new stuff so it might be easier to apply your knowledge to a game you've already done before transferring those skills to a new game. So say once you cover it in the lesson or problem set and watch the video, print out two clean copies and time yourself. Watch the video again if you didn't understand or missed a question or felt unsure. Do it again the next day. Do this before trying out a new game. Make sure you really have a grasp on a game you've already done before moving onto another one. LG really is learnable through exposure and repetition and that's why foolproofing works. The skills are transferrable. Not just understanding how the rules can be pushed together to make inferences but also the vital role good diagrams play.Foolproofing allows you to develop fluency with diagramming and symbols. For example, say you have a sequencing game where 1 and 2 are occupied by something similiar. You've seen this before in other games, so you know how to best visually represent it for your understanding.

But save the bulk of the foolproofing (games not convered in curriculum or problem sets) for after you've completed CC.

• LG_CandideLG_Candide Alum Member
    edited May 2018 72 karma

Wanted to lend support to @keets993's sentiment, because she's spot on. There's no need to wait to start fool-proofing. Even once you've seen the videos and know how the game should be attempted, getting practice with making those inferences again and again is half the battle. Fool-proofing as you go is a good way to start making progress and getting more comfortable, which will only make the process easier and easier. Waiting till the end of the core curriculum to get started means having less familiarity and practice. Fool-proofing now means less struggle down the line. I was hesitant to start fool-proofing on the problem sets myself because it sounded like a lot of extra work, but I've already found the process super valuable.

You should also keep in mind that the Problem Sets are all coming from Prep Tests 1-35, so you'll see all of these games again eventually if you by the bundle.

On a related note: If you haven't seen the advice posted elsewhere in the forums already, there are a few good techniques to save paper if you don't want to print out a bunch of copies of each game. You can write out each game on a fresh sheet of notebook paper (which is what I do), or you can use a plastic protective sheet to slide over the paper and then write with a dry erase marker. Would also recommend tracking your progress via an excel sheet so you can see your progress.

Best of luck!