Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s your best time-saving technique while doing LG?

JohnnyKarateJohnnyKarate Member
in Logic Games 157 karma

Mine was when I find the right answer, select it and move on — don’t try to disprove the remaining answers. Anyone agree with this? Any others tips/advice/tricks?

Comments

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

The only one I can think of that isn't in 7sage videos is I never write numbers for sequencing games. I draw vertical lines so I can tell which space is which.

For 5 spaces between 2|3
    For 6 spaces between 3|4
    For 7 spaces between 3|4
    For 8 spaces between 4|5

• mew41195mew41195 Alum Member
    159 karma

I agree with yours! Also - automatically chaining up rules if you see it happening vs. writing all of the rules individually and then chaining them, being smart about when to try to map out worlds vs. just moving on (suuuch a time sinker), and (personally) drawing boards small and near or connected to the question you're solving in that moment so if you have time to recheck, you know where to quickly look.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2018 23929 karma

Shallow dives on the questions first. So before I start framing sub-game boards or plugging anything into possible hypos, I take a look at my rules, my master game board, which game pieces are most restricted, and see if I can answer the question that way. Even if you can't fully answer you can usually save yourself time by eliminating a few of them.

Since you have access of all the Ult + material check out some of the live takes. These are incredibly helpful for learning the skills of a high LG scorer!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 3072 karma

I construct a master game board, not a bunch of smaller game boards by each question. I also do my best to front-load games by finding useful splits and/or inferences.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I actually save a lot of time just by writing out what the question asks of me and what the ACs say. And writing down the game pieces when I get stuck. i.e. the question says R is in 2 and L is before P, what MBT. so write R2. L-P. Write down the remaining game pieces. Once it's written down it's really easy to see how that fits into your existing rules. Skim ACs for whats obviously wrong, and write out what the remaining ACs say. Look back at how that question's new rule and the AC matches up with the rules/your existing gameboard and answer the question.
    I know this sounds really simple but I didnt do this at first and assumed that visualizing in my head is the faster/smarter thing to do when in reality it just causes little mistakes. Even jumping into drawing out a new game board right away can be a useless time suck. Sometimes you can quickly make inferences just by seeing the rules written down and the remaining game pieces.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited May 2018 737 karma

@Alex said:
    Shallow dives on the questions first. So before I start framing sub-game boards or plugging anything into possible hypos, I take a look at my rules, my master game board, which game pieces are most restricted, and see if I can answer the question that way. Even if you can't fully answer you can usually save yourself time by eliminating a few of them.

Since you have access of all the Ult + material check out some of the live takes. These are incredibly helpful for learning the skills of a high LG scorer!

Any particular examples of where live takes of people who're great at LG are?

Lately I've been looking at the questions to see how many are naked vs. ones with additional premises before deciding whether to split. For ones with multiple questions with additional premises it seems that the naked questions are usually not too bad if you save them for last.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2018 23929 karma

@39845892535 said:

@Alex said:

Off the top of my head I know PTs 39, 61, 78, 82, 83 all have live LG takes. JY does 78, 82, and 83. There's also a ton more with 7Sage "Leia" from the earlier PTs as well.

When you go to the video explanations in the Syllabus, any PT that has live LG/LR/RC takes will be under the explanation video if you skim down about a quarter page.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    737 karma

@Alex said:

@39845892535 said:

@Alex said:

Off the top of my head I know PTs 39, 61, 78, 82, 83 all have live LG takes. JY does 78, 82, and 83. There's also a ton more with 7Sage "Leia" from the earlier PTs as well.

When you go to the video explanations in the Syllabus, any PT that has live LG/LR/RC takes will be under the explanation video if you skim down about a quarter page.

Oh okay. Thanks! Unfortunately I was on one of the earlier PTs that had Leia and someone else's live take and it wouldn't load both. Only one (not Leia's) would load. I'm using Safari, so Idk if that's what causes that or what.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@39845892535 said:

@Alex said:

@39845892535 said:

@Alex said:

Oh okay. Thanks! Unfortunately I was on one of the earlier PTs that had Leia and someone else's live take and it wouldn't load both. Only one (not Leia's) would load. I'm using Safari, so Idk if that's what causes that or what.

Yeah bru, I've had issues with Safari. Definitely try Chrome. Literally haven't had an issue since I started using Chrome knock on wood

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I read this online somewhere and I've found it really beneficial: reading the rules four times before moving on to the questions. Once before I start diagramming, second to write the rules down/diagram, third to check for errors and fourth while doing the acceptable situation question. This is really helpful when you have an empty game-board, fluidity with the rules makes it easier to move through questions. Confidence in diagrams and understanding of rules aides timing as well, so now I am able to choose an answer choice with confidence and move on to the next question as you pointed out.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

OOh.. @"surfy surf" .. I love the idea of writing out the "if __ is in 2 and L-P" as a rule next to the question. It would definitely help me see it better on paper than in my head, and not cost very much time at all!