Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review Benefits Question

Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
in General 700 karma

How is understanding the logic behind why answer choices are right or wrong regarding a specific LR question going to help me on the next test? I'm not criticizing the process, I'm just trying to find out how to minimize mistakes for future exams, hence get better. Is this process subconsciously training my mind to think about these questions, and thereby developing my LSAT skills, or am I supposed to be picking up conscious strategies for future questions? For those of you who employed the BR process to a solid score, did you just passively begin to get better the more and more you blind reviewed your tests over time, or did you consciously cultivate specific strategies for particular types of problems?

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Taking a break from BRing to type this :)

I think BR helps me train to really pull apart each part of an argument and shows me that every word has meaning. In the beginning, I would just breeze through a stimulus and pick an A/C that felt right. Now, I realize that questions and ACs sometimes hinge on single words. The BR process has made it easier for me to ID the right / wrong answer choices because it has taught me to really focus in on every word. I don't know if this is conscious or subconscious, I just know I'm slowly getting better at it. YMMV.

Good luck!

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker So when you blind review, are you simply completing the process and then moving on, or are you writing notes like: "Okay in the future for a problem like this, be aware of words like many." That's an arbitrary example, but I'm starting to think that little rules like that aren't necessary so long as I just keep blind reviewing properly and trust the process along my journey, even if I never return back to my word documents of typed explanations.

I'm currently BR'ing as well so it's nice to see people in my same boat :smile:

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I typically don't take notes of the sort you mention while BRing; however, I do make note cards out of big ticket "a-ha" lessons learned or CC knowledge uncovered during review that makes a light turn on for me. Its very subjective. I also have ~2 and half notebooks of LSAT study / BR review. Like you, I haven't gone back and looked at a single page I wrote in the past, but I do think the act of writing things down helps to ingrain it in my mind. I'm an pencil / paper type of guy, sounds like your typing works for you.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I think BR helps you to see the analog from question to question. Every question is incredibly similar to another question. As you BR, you will see the similarities not only in answer choices but in the characteristics of incorrect answer choices. This is the key to improving your speed: you will go into questions knowing exactly what to expect even before you finish reading the stimulus. You could look at as training your mind, but it is better look at it for what it is: a way of seeing analogous questions to improve accuracy and speed

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker Ehh... I fluctuate between typing and writing. I retain more when writing, but I type sometimes because it's faster and because it improves my typing skill which is something we'll all need for law school (I know this benefit is applicable for the future, but my typing has noticeably improved since I began studying for the LSAT).

@JustDoIt I like it!